How many pounds of pork for 100 people

Big Brian

Reaction score
I am Smoking some pulled pork for a friend's son's open house and need enough for 100 people, I was thinking 4 8 pounders

Around 50 pounds uncooked, that's around 1/4 pound for each cooked. if ya cook as good as me it will be gone lol

100 people at .33 pounds per person (assuming you only serve pork) = 33 pounds (cooked)

Assuming approx 60% loss during trimming and cooking you need to cook around 50 pounds of pork

Well, there you go, 50 pounds of butts

If there is only pork and people are hungry go for 1 lbs raw for each, remember that butts have bones though which gives ya .4 lbs a person only

Simple math # of peoples / 1.5 = pounds of raw pork product needed to fill up the peoples on 1/3 lb servings

I get the same number as Bludawg does just a different way. 100 x .67 = 67 pounds raw. Or if you had for example 4 shoulders @ 9 pounds each 36 x 1.5 = 54 people could be fed.

I'm with Bludawg too, except the 'filling up on 1/3 lb' part.

If I'm there and it's a wonderful sandwich, I am going to want a second!

Are your friends limited to just one? Good luck enforcing that!

What sides are being served? If you're only having like chips & salad then I would bump it up to 65 lbs raw. If you're having heavy sides like beans, mac n cheese, potatoes then 50 should be plenty. I alway like to cook a little extra pork is cheap.

McDonald's sells 1/3 lb burgers think that would fill ya up? Ya me neither. Better think closer to 1/2 lb pp cooked. With 50 or so people there are going to be a few "big appetites". I would be embarrassed if I ran out of food, especially before the last person gets served. Besides, pork is cheap. Then again, I always cook too much....

I get the same number as Bludawg does just a different way. 100 x .67 = 67 pounds raw. Or if you had for example 4 shoulders @ 9 pounds each 36 x 1.5 = 54 people could be fed.

Easier than that. One case of butts plus two singles.

How much other food/sides will be served....kinda important info to know

It's hard to say but based on being an open house I wouldn't think this would be a full on meal but more something for people to graze on as they are walking through?

Might be enough if that's the case but if this is a legit meal you'll probably need more.

Besides sides, you also need to know your audience. Are you feeding older people or children? They might not eat as much. But if you are feeding the whole football team, you might want to plan on more.

Back