THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What kind of basket is that for the charcoal? I have a new akorn and i have been wondering what to use?

You can find it on Amazon, called Thunder Group 14" Fryer Basket.

It isn't necessary at all, but it really does help with cleanup for my hot and fast and able to shake out the ash into a bucket. Then I can just relight the coals left in there or add a few more.

You can find it on Amazon, called Thunder Group 14" Fryer Basket.

It isn't necessary at all, but it really does help with cleanup for my hot and fast and able to shake out the ash into a bucket. Then I can just relight the coals left in there or add a few more.

I just pull out the whole fire bowl and shake it out. Accomplishes the same thing

I agree with the others

Mine has no mods and after I figured it out I can run at any temp I want

I just pile the coals and for low and slow, light it with a Mapp torch by holding it on the center top of the pile for 30-45 seconds. Let it go for a few mins and close it up and adjust vents like has been mentoned

I used to use the volcano method with a weber cube or cotton balls but the torch works great.

If I want a hotter fire (like for pizza) I light it in 2 spots

its just amazing how many cooks I can get with just one load of coals. Cut down my lump use by at least 75% from my kettle

I'm going to try this method too. If for no other reason than to use the torch. :biggrin1:

I just pull out the whole fire bowl and shake it out. Accomplishes the same thing

Do you use another grate or anything to keep smaller pieces of lump from falling through or do you use briquettes?

The fire bowl doesn't fit perfectly into the diameter of a 5 gallon bucket though, haha

Last night I lit it starting low with the basket still in there before doing some steak kabobs and now it feels like I may have posted this prematurely before trying it another time or two.

With a little more experience I should have this thing nailed.

Do you use another grate or anything to keep smaller pieces of lump from falling through or do you use briquettes?

no

if they fall through that grate they are too small to be significant anyway.

I don't use briqs

actually what I usually do is just leave the bowl in place and run my hands through it and work all the ash and smaller stuff through the gates and let them collect in the ash pan

its just amazing how many cooks I can get with just one load of coals. Cut down my lump use by at least 75% from my kettle

This is what amazes me about this cooker. It is a fuel MISER. I'm always amazed at the beginning of each cook how much coal is left unburnt from the previous after shut down. Often I just top it off with a few more coals and am good to go. Also, after several years, no rust issues have appeared which was an original concern given the relatively low price.

I agree with the others

Mine has no mods and after I figured it out I can run at any temp I want

I just pile the coals and for low and slow, light it with a Mapp torch by holding it on the center top of the pile for 30-45 seconds. Let it go for a few mins and close it up and adjust vents like has been mentoned

This is all I do to.

Back