New PBC - tips for a newb?

highergr0und

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok, so my PBC wasn't supposed to ship until next week but as I cut the grass today I saw the box sitting on my porch... Super excited.

Anyways, I'm relatively new to cooking anything but burgers, chicken breasts, and the occasional beer can chicken on my OTG. Any tips for the PBC? Any seasoning necessary? Anything else?

From what I understand is that they are ready to go right outta the box no seasoning is required. I really like this cooker and want one but I'm gonna build a mini first.

Tons of tips on YouTube for the PBC!

Congrats! You'll enjoy it a lot. No seasoning needed. Just fire it up and I would do chicken halves for the first cook.

:p:p:p:p
20140221_184324.jpg

20140221_201851.jpg

Thanks! I know it's supposed to be ready to go but I wasn't sure if the experts here have found a way to make it even better

New PBC

There has been a lot of suggestions about how to get the ash out of the can. PBC says dump it .. some try to vacuum it out , but it can be a bit greasy. Some have used cookie sheets on the bottom or have made fancy custom ash catchers. Me ... well I double up aluminum foil and mold it to the bottom being careful not to cover the air vent . When I'm done, it a fold up and discard. Have fun !!!!

I would start by just following the videos that are posted on the website, once you get a good idea how it cooks, try some new ideas......have fun with it!

KC

Agree about watching the PBC videos. A good instant read thermometer will come in handy to know when the meat is done. You will love the PBC.

Oh, I live by my instant read thermometer..... Restaurant business forever and young kids at home. Charcoal is heating up now, got two chickens ready to go on, plus the mentioned fatty to go on after the chickens come off....

Thanks guys!!

Get a Thermoworks TW8060 and a Thermapen - Both are indispensable...

I just dump the ash out, give the bottom a few good thumps and it all comes out pretty good.

A business-card-sized fridge magnet over the draft hole at the end of you cook snuffs the fire well.

Stumps' charcoal rocks. Wood chunks mixed in to your charcoal adds flavor however you want it.

Best beer to drink with a PBC is Sierra Nevada pale ale or Torpedo.

Happy Sunday!!

Get a Thermoworks TW8060 and a Thermapen - Both are indispensable...

I just dump the ash out, give the bottom a few good thumps and it all comes out pretty good.

A business-card-sized fridge magnet over the draft hole at the end of you cook snuffs the fire well.

Stumps' charcoal rocks. Wood chunks mixed in to your charcoal adds flavor however you want it.

Best beer to drink with a PBC is Sierra Nevada pale ale or Torpedo.

Happy Sunday!!

How about a Sierra Nevada Hef? One of my favs. I use quarter sized magnets over the rod holes and a piece of foil over bottom vent held in place by two of those magnets. Shuts it down pretty quickly

I need to get some magnets..... hoping it cools down soon so I can get the cover on it ahead of tonight's rain. Otherwise I'll be dragging it inside.

First cook was amazing. Two chickens cut in halves like the videos hit their temps in about 1 hour 50 minutes. Skin was crispy, not quite to true bite through. Wife took her usual breast, took the skin off like always and ate it. She said it was better than usual. Then she hit a wing, loved it, went back to eat the skin she pushed to the side earlier, ate another wing, and started declaring how great it was. I thought it was amazing as well, definitely better than any beer can, splatchclock or other chicken I've cooked on a grill. After some serious eye rolling when I ordered it, I think she's now a PBC fan.

Then I threw a fatty (well roll of turkey sausage) on there with some PBC all purpose rub. Another 90 minutes or so and it was at temp. Even got a smoke ring!!! Delicious and unexpected.....

Next weekend will be ribs and more chicken with my parents and in-laws in town.

I need to get some magnets..... hoping it cools down soon so I can get the cover on it ahead of tonight's rain. Otherwise I'll be dragging it inside.

First cook was amazing. Two chickens cut in halves like the videos hit their temps in about 1 hour 50 minutes. Skin was crispy, not quite to true bite through. Wife took her usual breast, took the skin off like always and ate it. She said it was better than usual. Then she hit a wing, loved it, went back to eat the skin she pushed to the side earlier, ate another wing, and started declaring how great it was. I thought it was amazing as well, definitely better than any beer can, splatchclock or other chicken I've cooked on a grill. After some serious eye rolling when I ordered it, I think she's now a PBC fan.

Then I threw a fatty (well roll of turkey sausage) on there with some PBC all purpose rub. Another 90 minutes or so and it was at temp. Even got a smoke ring!!! Delicious and unexpected.....

Next weekend will be ribs and more chicken with my parents and in-laws in town.

Congrats on your first cook. My wife also thought I was nuts for buying a smoker that looks like a trash can, but changed her mind when she tried the chicken. I would also like to get the skin just a bit crispier. I usually take it off when it reaches 165 which is usually at 1 hour and 15 minutes. Think I will start cooking it a bit longer and leave the lid off or cracked for last 10 minutes. You will love the ribs and butts as well! And if you can get your hands on some tri tip you wil have one of the best meals ever.

thanks. I looked for tri-tip at my kroger and all they had was a little package that was already in some marinade that was charging like 12.99 a pound..... Seemed a bit crazy. I think now I need to go renew my costco membership

Back