Help deciding on first charcoal unit

I had never thought of getting a weber kettle and learning to cook and smoke with it. But several of you are advising that! What an economical way to do it! I am going to check that out ASAP on Craigslist, and also read some threads about smoking on it.

Thanks so much to everyone for all the great responses!

Add me as another vote for the Weber kettle. I do everything on mine, from screaming hot for caveman/cowboy steaks, to 12 hour low and slow smokes. (Using the snake method.)

I personally have 2 Weber kettles, a gas grill, Smoke Hollow #5 gas smoker, a Chargriller Akorn and a Lang 48 DX trailer. I say go with an Akorn, that thing is fantastic and can do it all from low and slow to cooking a pizza and everything in between for $249

I have two kettles, and cook everything I cook outdoors on them. There is nothing I've seen that is better for most peoples grilling needs, and learning to cook low and slow is simple without spending more money. Until you know what you really want, and then you always have it for grilling. The Brinkman smoker I inherited from my father sits in the basement unused.

Last edited:
In that budget range a 26.7" Weber would be a great thing. I have a chitload of grills and smokers and this one gets much more use than the other ones - very versatile. Plenty of room for all kinds of different temp ranges around the grill if you want. A lot times I like to have different types of items done all at the same time and the 26.75" makes it easy for that to happen. You can to an indirect low/slow and grill apps at the same time - love that thing!

Can't go wrong with PBC. very short learning curve. Nothing else in your price range will be easier or make better food. You can even call the owner and talk to him about your needs. He would be happy to talk to you. Good luck.

Can't go wrong with PBC. very short learning curve. Nothing else in your price range will be easier or make better food. You can even call the owner and talk to him about your needs. He would be happy to talk to you. Good luck.

Agreed! I love my PBC as a smoker and you can even grill on it if you open it up. You also can't go wrong with a weber kettle.

I've spent all afternoon looking at weber kettle threads on here, and I believe I will go ahead and start with that one. The other contenders are awesome as well, but I can't go wrong with the Weber.

I also found this video on the snake method, and it looks pretty easy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiGRbyg_zeI"]The Snake Method - Charcoal Kettle Tutorial, Low and Slow Technique - YouTube[/ame]

Congrats on your choice!

You couldn't go wrong with anything mentioned in the above post. And this site is the place for tips and tricks.

You wont regret your choice!

But like I said earlier, get ready because once you get the charcoal bug you will want more cookers! :thumb:

I've spent all afternoon looking at weber kettle threads on here, and I believe I will go ahead and start with that one. The other contenders are awesome as well, but I can't go wrong with the Weber.

I also found this video on the snake method, and it looks pretty easy

"I also found this video on the snake method, and it looks pretty easy"

It is......only thing that complicates it is us....we the people, making it more complex than it is or needs to be......please remember I said that as you go along.....:wink:

And....Have Fun !!!!!

Great choice - I have never, ever heard someone say "I got a Weber kettle - the thing doesn't work and I don't like it." :laugh:

You will love it. IMO every home should have a Weber Kettle. A venerable cooker for many reasons.

Great choice. Even though I suggested the WSM, can't go wrong with a kettle. And, after using it for a while, you may want to move up, and the WSM is next in line...

Now get to Q'ing and post some pics...

Yeah, I can't wait to get started...right now, if I find a good used one on CL (which I am not seeing many of around here), I will get it, otherwise I will more than likely get a new one on my birthday in a couple of weeks!

I am enjoying reading the epic Weber Kettle Appreciation thread. It's amazing some of the deals you guys can find where you live. Here, people want almost what a new one costs for a used one.

Either way, I have plenty of time to keep researching tips.

Back