PBC cooking times

Gbaker

Reaction score
Ok, dumb question, but I'm confused. I'm 4 cooks in with my PBC / uds hybrid and I can't figure out why it seems to be cooking fast.

Since my cooker is closely modeled after a PBC, I am following the PBC cooking times. I am still getting used to the air intakes, but wide open, I am only at 300. With one intake capped, I am at 275ish, 2 capped I am at 230-250. Most time, I am running at 275. Funny thing is that my cook times are consistently faster than instructed. What would cause cooking times to be faster than the PBC recommendation?

I am using kings ford charcoal, lighting the basket according to the instructions, pre heating... I am basically at sea level... I can't figure it out.

I'd love to hear thoughts.

:confused:

I don't think your cooker is cooking fast. If your UDS is holding those temps as posted consistently, congrats :) ..it's doing what's it supposed to do. I would tailor my cooks to those temps you are consistently getting and not worry about the PBC vids and suggested times.

Post some pics of your rig?

Maybe I'm not being clear. My dilemma is that my temps are lower than most people say the pbc runs, but my cook times are shorter. What gives?

The only way to know for sure is to get a Maverick or iGrill setup, I guess.

Pics

Attachments

• IMAG1476.jpg
    IMAG1476.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMAG1452.jpg
    IMAG1452.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 86
Maybe your thermometer is off. Check your therm to make sure its at 212 F when inserted into boiling water. Cool cooker by the way.

I have been using our oven thermometer that I thought was accurate, but that's a good point.

I am debating a dual probe setup, or maybe just probe the meat and forget about temps..

Each cooker is unique. You just have to learn its style of cooking. I have two Webber daisy wheel kettles. The 1993 runs hotter. It cooks better chicken. The 1979 is better for low and slow.

Your temps are consistent with mine on my PBC around 270-280. I have had to add anywhere from 1 to two hours to the cooking time on Noah's site, I'm at sea level also. Maybe it's the humidity difference or your thermometer is off.

Back