Chemical smell, safe to eat

jarlenfos

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey all,
New guy here from Sydney Australia.

I've always loved the taste of smoked meats are recently decided to build myself a UDS based on the Redneck thread on this forum. The smoker turned out great. Today I decided to season it using some vegetable oil and some briquettes from the local hardware store.

I've finally got the temperature under control and am sitting at a steady 275. My question is, there is a really strong eye burning chemical smell coming from inside the barrel when I pop the lid off. I had planned to give my first cook a go for some friends tomorrow night but now I am concerned I may have to call it off.

The drum I purchased it from a drum reconditioning company here in Sydney. The guy I purchased it from advised me that they buy that they take drums from industry, put them through an incinerator then sandblast the drums back to raw steel before selling them back to industry. The drum is definitely raw and I have painted the outside only in high temp paint so that smell should be coming from inside the drum.

The only thing I can think of is that the briquettes I'm using are producing the smell.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this. Should I call it quits on this UDS.

Thanks in advance,
Jarrad.

burn some of the briqs in a chimney, or a firepit, or another grill, and see if you get the same smell. If you do, then you know that's where it's coming from.

If you're still concerned, build a big arse fire in the drum, and let it burn for a good long while...that should get rid of anything you need to be worried about.

And more... These are the briquettes I used http://www.bunnings.com.au/hotshots-4kg-bbq-briquettes_p3170432 Thanks for the advice fantomlord. I used the whole bag tonight but i might try and purchase some lump charcoal tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. I find it hard to believe that the inside of the drum is emitting any odour as it's definitely right back to bare metal.

I'm assuming this probably covers the entire drum in and out:
"a durable scratch-resistant finish of the highest standard is applied."

Also assuming you did not use charcoal lighter fluid???

If not. then I agree with fantomlord, if you haven't used lighter fluid, and your tested the briquettes, burn the inside of the drum yourself and then you have eliminated the inside of the drum as the source.... make sure the lid gets burned as well..

They may have sprayed the inside with a rust inhibitor after cleaning it.
If so, the inhibitor could be a clear coating, the metal will look uncoated (raw) but there would be zero rust. If so a good burning will remove the coating, then re-season.
Just a thought...

Safe or not, that smell will make its way into the food, and I'm sure it won't be pleasant.

Does the inside lip of the lid still have the rubber gasket? If so, burning gasket could be the culprit

Being that you got the drum locally, give them a call. They should be able to tell you of they apply anything to the inside.

Matt

Back