ribs..wrap or no wrap?

sylntghost

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
ive been wrapping lately. thought i might go no wrap this weekend.ive been doing 2 hours smoke 2 hours foil then eat. have not tried 3 2 1 either.

No need to wrap ribs...only wrap if pressed for time. When i am pressed for time i do a semi wrap...lay rib meat side down on a sheet of foil...bend the foil upwards around rib and leave open...moisture will evaporate and grease will slowly fry the meat...you are left with the best bark imaginable...good luck.

I'm a wrapper... 2.5 hours unwrapped, 1.5 hours in foil (with a line of boiled cider) then sauced and 45 minutes to finish... or until I can't wait any longer...

I save butcher paper for wrapping briskets or chuckies, but I may try that later.

I am a non-wrapper, but have wrapped several times due to time constraints trying to speed things up.

I'm a wrapper , I do 3-1-1 @ 225 on my traeger , I pour some dr pepper into the wrap

My wife and kids like them to fall off the bone. Therefore, I wrap.

No need to wrap ribs...only wrap if pressed for time. When i am pressed for time i do a semi wrap...lay rib meat side down on a sheet of foil...bend the foil upwards around rib and leave open...moisture will evaporate and grease will slowly fry the meat...you are left with the best bark imaginable...good luck.

I like it. I may have to try that.

Last edited:
I don't wrap anymore, waste of foil. But yeah, if you need to speed things up foil is great.

I.ve done no wrap, wrap in foil (nothing added), wrapped in foil with squeeze butter and brown sugar, and wrapped in paper (nothing added). My preference is wrapped in paper, juicy, tender ribs with the bark I like. I used to sauce all my ribs, but I started liking them more without sauce, so now I only sauce when that's what I'm hungry for.

Best way to find what you like, is to try different methods until you find what hits your hot button!

Have fun with it and enjoy!

KC

I.ve done no wrap, wrap in foil (nothing added), wrapped in foil with squeeze butter and brown sugar, and wrapped in paper (nothing added). My preference is wrapped in paper, juicy, tender ribs with the bark I like. I used to sauce all my ribs, but I started liking them more without sauce, so now I only sauce when that's what I'm hungry for.

Best way to find what you like, is to try different methods until you find what hits your hot button!

Have fun with it and enjoy!

KC

That should be the way for All of Us! Experience ourselves all and then decide what makes us happyer! For me, now, 3 h no foil at 250F, 2 h in paper foil and finally sauced. Toal time for StL 5 h.

thanks for the replies. my wife likes fall off the bone ribs. really fall off the bone. i think i'll do 3 2 1 for her rack and do mine no wrap. that way there will be peace at the dinner table..lol:becky:

I was going to suggest two racks. I do that every time now. I'll do one my tried and true way then experiment with the other. Even if it's just a different rub, just to try something new. Hasn't sucked yet!

Wrap or no wrap is relative to compete or no compete. If you compete you probably wrap. I know from big rib cooks like peoples choice though that unwrapped ribs are very tasty and a wonderful treat all on their own but I would be killed around here if I didn't wrap my comp ribs.

thanks for the replies. my wife likes fall off the bone ribs. really fall off the bone. i think i'll do 3 2 1 for her rack and do mine no wrap. that way there will be peace at the dinner table..lol:becky:

3-2-1 was developed for full slab (untrimmed) spares at 225, so if you're not cooking full spares at 225 you may want to adjust the timing.

Questions about foiling meats bring out a wide array of opinions. As code3rrt mentioned, do what you like. It's your food :-D

When I am cooking for us I usually don't foil, but I also use a savory rub and don't sauce, either. At competitions we use three different rubs, foil with a magical alchemical concoction to pump up the flavor, and glaze with a blend of two sauces. The results are very different, but both are good.

One note: You'll see lots of folks claim that foiling will produce mushy or over cooked ribs. Foiling does not over cook anyone's ribs. The cook does that :-D I can put out undercooked, overcooked or perfectly cooked ribs with or without foil, and I've probably done all three at one time or another :becky:

My worry with wrapping is always bark, or lack thereof. Does the 1 hour outside of the wrap still produce a bark worthy of someone who finds that to be the best part of the ribs? I've done both ways personally and am always conflicted - I rarely want to wait the full 4-5 hours for non-wrapped, but I prefer the non-wrapped texture. I'm missing one key ingredient: patience :)

Wrapping normally results in falling off the bone tenderness, which is fine for me at home. It also speeds up the cook if pressed for time. Not wrapping is less messy and easier.

I did a test once with two SLC racks. Cooked both naked for two hours, wrapped one for an hour, and unwrapped for the last ~ hour. Pulled both when they were bendy. Both racks turned out good. Little more bark to the outside of the unwrapped rack and little more juicy / fall off the bone to the wrapped rack. We decided that for just us, we liked wrapped better, but if I am making a bunch of ribs, there isn't enough difference to make it worth the extra effort.

As to the question of if wrapping effects the bark and if the last hour unwrapped helps, I think it does. These were wrapped and then unwrapped.

Ribs_zps4902bdc1.jpg

That sounds pretty good Zin! I'll probably try that.

Do you lay it down in foil from the beginning, or do you do it after a couple of hours?

i don't wrap, nor do i have a time table for doneness.

Back