charcoal snake on the weber

Woodbooger

Knows what a fatty is.
Okay, I apologize, I am sure this has been beaten to death! I know many of you kettle guys have done it. I got a niece on the way and am having a get together for my brother during the baby shower. Long story short I got a boneless pork butt I need to get out to make new room in the freezer. I am pretty sure it is going to be cold as all hell on Saturday, do you think I will have issues holding temp doing the snake method? Any tips on the process are appreciated. Or do you think I should just fire up the old fire box on the vertical? LOL

If you can keep the kettle out of the wind you will have better luck.

I hope OP doesn't mind if I piggyback on this thread a little - I've tried using Lump mixed in with briquettes in a snake and it doesn't seem to work well. Am I alone in this? With the irregular shape of the lump, the chain can "break" more easily.

With that said, OP, I did two chains over the weekend in frigid temps and, despite not actually leaving the meat on long enough, my kettle held a good, solid temp the entire time. You'll be fine.

I hope OP doesn't mind if I piggyback on this thread a little - I've tried using Lump mixed in with briquettes in a snake and it doesn't seem to work well. Am I alone in this? With the irregular shape of the lump, the chain can "break" more easily.

With that said, OP, I did two chains over the weekend in frigid temps and, despite not actually leaving the meat on long enough, my kettle held a good, solid temp the entire time. You'll be fine.

An all lump chain can be done, but it's a bit tricky...like you say, easier for it to break & sometimes even bridge & burn ahead.....

Depending on how hot you'd like to run & somewhat on the outside temperature, maybe pile up briquettes at 2+2+some wood........
(heavier pile than this~~>)

3-6-2013Beef005.jpg

I go by amount of available fuel first & available air (vent settings) second, so to be sure under windy or other adverse conditions, start with a heavier pile.....you can always keep the vents pinched down pretty low if it works out that way......

Not everyone does this, but I'll keep top vent all open to freely exhaust & keep a good draft going......

Lump has a very definite use at the household.....burn insurance....

3-6-2013Beef006.jpg

3-6-2013Beef007.jpg

Set briq's & wood first, then sprinkle those otherwise useless chips that would ordinarily fall thru the grate all along the pile, leaning toward the outside mostly.......

To the OP, if it's really cold when you start, let the kettle come up to a good heat before you start....that's always helped here.....then 6~8 coals burning along the row will maintain it.....starting off too cold seems to invite a fistfight twixt me & the fire.....:boxing:

TX, Terry.....

There's a ton of great kinds of cookers out there in the world & a ton of great cooks here that know how to use them.....
If I can help with improving folk's use of the humble Weber kettle, I'm all for it !!!

awesome thank you guys so much!! I am gonna give it a run. If all else fails I can always just fire up the smoker. I think it is supposed to be in the 30s this weekend so not too bad, I will have to get my shorts out.

I've used the minion/snake method for years and it's never let me down.
As was stated earlier the best thing you can do is protect your kettle from the wind by either moving it or erecting some sort of barrier around it to protect it. Best of luck this weekend.

An all lump chain can be done, but it's a bit tricky...like you say, easier for it to break & sometimes even bridge & burn ahead.....

Depending on how hot you'd like to run & somewhat on the outside temperature, maybe pile up briquettes at 2+2+some wood........
(heavier pile than this~~>)

3-6-2013Beef005.jpg

I go by amount of available fuel first & available air (vent settings) second, so to be sure under windy or other adverse conditions, start with a heavier pile.....you can always keep the vents pinched down pretty low if it works out that way......

Not everyone does this, but I'll keep top vent all open to freely exhaust & keep a good draft going......

Lump has a very definite use at the household.....burn insurance....

3-6-2013Beef006.jpg

3-6-2013Beef007.jpg

Set briq's & wood first, then sprinkle those otherwise useless chips that would ordinarily fall thru the grate all along the pile, leaning toward the outside mostly.......

To the OP, if it's really cold when you start, let the kettle come up to a good heat before you start....that's always helped here.....then 6~8 coals burning along the row will maintain it.....starting off too cold seems to invite a fistfight twixt me & the fire.....:boxing:

A great idea, something else to add to the to try list

Back