Brisket pricing blues...

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ugh!

Brought home a 14.65 lb packer @ $3.48/lb. = $50.98.
Trimmed up this morning yielded 3.2 lbs fat - leaving just under 11.5 lbs. trimmed packer (22% weight loss).

Resulting $/lb (nearly a dollar more per pound raw)= $4.45/lb.
:twisted::twisted::twisted:

Stop doing the math... when you get to cooked weight you will be depressed :sick:

Try doing that same math with it "starting" @ $6.99 lb :shocked: Welcome to Utah :sad:

If you end up with around five bucks a pound then you're still better off than seven for flats and still get some point for ends. 22% is low and one the main reasons I've been buying flats and points separate. Most choice or better packers can have way more than that. For just eating, wallys has had choice packers for $3.50 for over a year now. Steve

I'll have to go look again but I've never seen a brisket in wally world here in CA.

Just be glad you don't buy kosher meat. Those suckers cost a fortune, close to $7 a pound.

They are trying to charge 7.99 a pound for packers at Publix

Someone posted a link to an article claiming the demand for brisket has skyrocketed with that stupid sandwich Arby's sells. It seems ridiculous that it would make a difference like we've seen, but when I think about how many places do you know of that serve brisket? With as many Arby's as there are times how ever many briskest a day they need to keep with demand it sort of makes sense I guess........escalating beef prices doesn't help either.

I was at the brand new Sam's Club in Maize, KS this weekend and checked the meat case for brisket. There were only 2 whole briskets out and they were priced at $3.65. I then looked at the flats (which is what I cook most) and to my shock they were priced @ $3.65---too bad there were only 2 decent ones that jumped into my cart. I looked on the board for case price and flats were supposed to be $6.85 for a case price. Score for me!

The drought in TX hurt prices also, it always takes longer for prices to come down than when they went up.

Supply and demand, think about the old days! When chicken wings could be bought for practicly nothing. But when they became the fashionable thing to snack on, pow, the price went skyhigh. Places started up specializing in wings, now you pay a buck for half a wing. Same as with BBQ, toughest cuts of meat, use to be cheap, became popular, now we all suffer. But at least we all suffer together. At least I can still get a beer for a good price, and its popular.

I started cooking brisket less than 3 years ago and have NEVER paid over $1.97 a pound. God Bless Texas.

I feel your pain, but (try to) be happy you can even find a packer. Since my town's little mom & pop grocery store closed - I can't find anything but flats. :sad:

Back