First Smoked Chicken

ak6399

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I joined a couple days ago but I've been lurking here for a few months! I love BBQ and enjoy cooking a lot. Last week I picked up my first smoker and today for my birthday I tried my hand at my first smoke. Started with something easy and cheap, a whole chicken.

I didnt brine or anything just defrosted, rinsed out of the package and dried the skin off. Lifted the skin up and rubbed a mixture of butter and my seasoning underneath the skin. On top of the skin I used the same rub.

Loaded up the smoker with about 5-7 lbs of Stubbs briquettes and lit up 5-6 in a chimney and placed on the one side of the pile. Took about 45 minutes to get to temp and then I got the chicken on. I really battled wind gusts, around 30 mph+, all day and this killed my temps each time dropping about 7-10 degrees each time. Right in the middle of the cook I got done to around 240 from multiple wind gusts and my coals seemed like they were going out so I fired up another half chimney.

I did get temps back up and finished in just over 3 hours 165 in the breast. Sorry for the long post but it was a ton of fun! I have pics but they are massive and I don't know how to shrink them so I included a link to the imgur album!

Full Album

Looks like you done good. Good job figuring out how to control temps!

Nice job for the first go! Chicken looks good. Next time try to throw a few wood chunks on with that charcoal and see how much it changes the flavor!

Thanks everyone for the comments, temps were definitely a struggle! Looking to do some beef ribs sometime soon.

Also, I did use some wood chunks but not enough I think. I've read that chicken takes on smoke really easily and I didn't want to overdue it. The legs and wings had a good smoke flavor, but the breasts you couldn't tell. I think next time I will try to use some more chunks or get some splits of wood!

Happy belated. Nice job on your first cook with the new smoker! Chicken is perfect for the first time since it is not as susceptible to higher temps and temperature fluctuations as pork or beef. I usually cook chicken between 300-325 degrees F for about 1 1/2 hours on my Weber kettle.

Nothing like a roasted/grilled bird. well done, and welcome!

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the breast getting as much smoke, it's thicker. Just play around with it until you find the smoke taste that everyone likes and go with that.

Happy belated. Nice job on your first cook with the new smoker! Chicken is perfect for the first time since it is not as susceptible to higher temps and temperature fluctuations as pork or beef. I usually cook chicken between 300-325 degrees F for about 1 1/2 hours on my Weber kettle.

I've started doing them 350-400, taste just as good and gets done in closer to an hour, making it a bit easier for an after-work cook.

Try spatchcock! Just cut the backbone out, lay it flat. That's how we always cook 'em.

674SKB5h.jpg

Nice Job, I second the thought of starting to add the wood for the varied flavors

Thanks for the replies everyone, it definitely won't be my last I have two more whole birds in the freezer. What is the benefit of removing the backbone, does it cook more evenly?

Whole chicken is best cooked hot and fast. I don't mind low and slow drums and thighs because you can always throw them on the grill at the end to crisp them up.

My preferred method is 1 hour cold smoke then an hour in a electric rottiserie that gets above 375F-400F

I truss, season and put it right on the rotisserie skewer befire i even put it on the smoker so its quick to go from smoker to rotisserie.

Nice job!! I think chicken is a great place to start.. especially from a price stand point.

Back