Everybody talking stick burners and Ceramic kamado

I've actually been pondering a Masterbuilt electric myself. Interested in what you come up with....

16Adams, I have known you for a few years now on here and the KG site as well. You know how passionate I am for the kamado....

With that said, when I first tried the pellet smoker I was hooked. My buddy let me use a pro 34 and I couldn't believe that I spent two years trying to talk myself out of buying one.

When I finally went ahead and buy one I was torn between the ys640 and the new timberline 1300.

I am very pleased with my purchase so far. I can honestly say that this pellet smoker fills a void that I have been struggling with over the past few years. I needed something for quick cooks as I have a busy life, not to mention is is producing true low and slow like I have never experienced before. It is also nice to be able to cook without charcoal once and a while.

Take a look at the timberline, the new features make this grill something desirable even for the most dedicated charcoal type.

I've actually been pondering a Masterbuilt electric myself. Interested in what you come up with....

The Masterbuilt Electric combined with the A-MAZE-N pellet tray gets the job done for me when it comes to cold/warm smoked items like sausage and bacon where you want consistent low temps to avoid the fat rendering out while smoking. Honestly, my only beef with them is their size. Even the 40 is a little too small for me. I'd like them to put out a refrigerator sized unit that performs the same way haha.

I guess i better sell my new Deep South G28. That i will be getting in the next 3 weeks, and get me a offset pit.
Thats not going to happen.

After a couple weeks and many cooks on the yoder, I am a pellet believer now:). I used to think my kamado was great for quick cooks (and it was), but the yoder is just sooo easy...I have been cooking breakfast, lunch and dinners on it.

I would still like a big LSG stick burner to play with, but no room for one right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have GMG Jim Bowie and had a Kamado until yesterday. I traded the my Saffire Grills for a Rec Tec to a friend for a trial. It could be a temporary swap but im thinking Ill keep the pellet grill. Love the capacity and convenience of the pellets. Turns out great food and if I need to sear Ill use the Weber Kettle.

After a couple weeks and many cooks on the yoder, I am a pellet believer now:). I used to think my kamado was great for quick cooks (and it was), but the yoder is just sooo easy...I have been cooking breakfast, lunch and dinners on it.

gtsum, could you give some examples of what you cook in it for breakfast and lunch? I'm trying to get some ideas of cooks besides ribs, brisket, etc. Thanks!

gtsum, could you give some examples of what you cook in it for breakfast and lunch? I'm trying to get some ideas of cooks besides ribs, brisket, etc. Thanks!

I have a thread "Yoder has landed" here...you can see some pics and info on that...

here it is: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245995

I got the Yoder 2 weeks ago tomorrow I think it was...have cooked burgers, brats, dogs, steak, butts, ribs, chicken, veggies, eggs, hashbrowns, sausage and sausage balls, bacon, etc. I can see me doing sandwiches using the ribbed side of the griddle...like Panini's, etc..

The Yoder is a bit different than most other pellet cookers in that it can reach temps of 600 degrees, and if using grill grates over the direct fire, those get over 900 degrees, so it can sear almost as good as my Primo Oval Xl (I still prefer the cast iron grates on the Primo though). The way the Yoder has the 2 piece diffuser, you can be cooking indirect or smoking, and within 15 seconds pull the hatch out of the diffuser, and crank temps up for grilling directly over the fire.....not using grill grates over the diffuser like in most other pellet cookers (which obviously results in a much better sear). I got a weber griddle with my yoder for flat top cooking and is where I have made the eggs, bacon and sausage, etc.

I only did a limited amount of baking with my Primo (except pizzas), as I didnt care for charcoal/wood taste on my biscuits, deserts, etc. I would have no qualms about baking on the Yoder as I would just use a mix of hardwood pellets without a strong smoke profile...they burn so cleanly, especially at 350 degrees, there would be limited amount of smoke taste. If looking at Pellets, I dont think you can go wrong with a Yoder, Mak, or Memphis.

I really like the new Traeger Timberline also as they look to be made much, much better than the old Traegers, but they do not have a direct sear ability (directly over the wood fire...putting grill grates over the diffuser plate isnt the same to me) which eliminated them for me.

16Adams, I have known you for a few years now on here and the KG site as well. You know how passionate I am for the kamado....

With that said, when I first tried the pellet smoker I was hooked. My buddy let me use a pro 34 and I couldn't believe that I spent two years trying to talk myself out of buying one.

When I finally went ahead and buy one I was torn between the ys640 and the new timberline 1300.

I am very pleased with my purchase so far. I can honestly say that this pellet smoker fills a void that I have been struggling with over the past few years. I needed something for quick cooks as I have a busy life, not to mention is is producing true low and slow like I have never experienced before. It is also nice to be able to cook without charcoal once and a while.

Take a look at the timberline, the new features make this grill something desirable even for the most dedicated charcoal type.

Bosco baby steps....next step is an offset :-D
Good to see you posting!

I've had a pellet smoker for about 2 weeks right now. I haven't used it nearly as much as gtsum has, but I've been out of town for part of that! The first weekend I had it running almost non-stop. Mine doesn't put out a very strong smoke flavor, but that also might be the pellets that I'm using. Regardless, that's actually good for us. My girlfriend doesn't like a strong smoke flavor, but she likes food that has been cooked that way. It's a new toy that I'm having a lot of fun with, and spending a lot of time learning.

The Masterbuilt Electric combined with the A-MAZE-N pellet tray gets the job done for me when it comes to cold/warm smoked items like sausage and bacon where you want consistent low temps to avoid the fat rendering out while smoking. Honestly, my only beef with them is their size. Even the 40 is a little too small for me. I'd like them to put out a refrigerator sized unit that performs the same way haha.

Same here. It's my go to for sausage. It's nice to control the heat independent of the smoke source

Hanging out here does tend to get a bit expensive......

I love my Rectec for whole chicken and turkey -- favorite way to cook them. It's also great when I need something that's truly set it and forget it. Things are changing and my kids are growing up but a few years ago every weekend had 4 soccer games, sometimes a gymnastics meet, church + CCD etc. Even the kamado wouldn't have been easy enough to allow me to do much smoking during those years. Another example was when my oldest got married a couple years ago. We had everyone over for a party the next day so I needed to start cooking at midnight right after the reception. Being able to walk in the door and push the on button, throw everything on and then go to bed was fantastic. (particularly as I didn't sleep super well the night before :razz:)

I'll probably buy an offset one of these days to play with (a SF would do quite nicely) but I don't see ever giving up the pellet grill as one of the options.

Back