Center Firebox Smokers?

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Who here has a center firebox smoker? I know on guy on here in CA has an ICU and Saw a Johndon T smoker sell on here in classifieds.? Who else?

Not direct fire like BoomShuckaLucka or a UDS or PBC or WSM or such......

I guess my smoker would be classified as a center box smoker. There is a diffuser plate above the opening to the firebox so it is not direct fire.

pLoaebB.jpg

57LLHit.jpg

Yes it is. How even(ish) are Temps thru out? Do you feel it takes less fuel/wood than if FB was on one side?

I tend to have the same temp from side to side/up and down, but the bottom row along the sides can have a bit of charring from being closer to where the heat comes out. Overall a very even cooker.

Not really sure whether it is efficient or not, but it tends to go through a large split every half hour, forty-five minutes. My next version of this will be a similar design, but a larger, insulated cooking area.

For some reason can't get pictures to post PM me your email I will send them ours is a modified Yoder smoker we built for Tailgating

Any more?

24" T model (center firebox) from Johnson. So far the temps have been fairly even on both sides. I have not been smoking food long enough (stick burner) to have a comparison as far as wood consumption BUT my first three cooks have used approx 8 to 10 splits each. Cook time during those outings was about 6 to 8 hours average at approx 300-325 degrees.

That's really innovative! I have always been curious: how do you get the oil odor out of a tank like that or a propane tank?

Back