17 team comp is thier a fair way to make the tables?

Goddahavit

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
As the title asked, recently did a 17 team first year comp, it wound up teams hitting tables 2x, any way to stop that?

As the title asked, recently did a 17 team first year comp, it wound up teams hitting tables 2x, any way to stop that?

If it was a 4 meat/category contest you would have to have 4 judging tables. That means you would only have each table judge 4 or 5 entries per category; with 17 entries 3 tables would get 4 entries and 1 table would get 5. With 4 categories and 4 judging tables each team should hit each table once. You would need 24 judges and 4 table captains.

Like QN said, you need 24 judges at 4 tables for a 4 meat contest (KCBS) in order for all teams to hit every table once and only once.

4 tables

Chicken:
Tables 1,2 3 judge 4 entries.
Table 4 judges 5 entries.

Ribs:
Tables 1,2,4 judge 4 entries
Table 3 judges 5 entries.

Keep rotating so each table gets 4,4,4,5

I guess I'm sorting hijacking the topic, but this situation is not a problem in the GBA. A random number app is used to assign box #s to tables. A separate sort is run for each of the three categories. Judges take seats randomly except spouses, significant others & close friends may not sit at the same table. After the first round, judges leave the judging area & the tables are reset. When called back in for the second category, judges again take seats randomly but may not sit with the same group from the first round. Comments?

I guess I'm sorting hijacking the topic, but this situation is not a problem in the GBA. A random number app is used to assign box #s to tables. A separate sort is run for each of the three categories. Judges take seats randomly except spouses, significant others & close friends may not sit at the same table. After the first round, judges leave the judging area & the tables are reset. When called back in for the second category, judges again take seats randomly but may not sit with the same group from the first round. Comments?

I'm not sure that is really any better. You don't have one TOD taking down most or all of the teams that hit it, but you also make it easier for teams to hit bad tables all three rounds and teams to hit angel tables all three rounds. In a four table KCBS contest, you hit the same tables as everyone else. In a five table contest, you will have at least three tables in common with every other team.

So the same judges do finals as the prelim? Not a separate group like MBN?

Back