Someone Explain the Science

smokerpa

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This was a complete after thought, and I haven't been able to find the answer. Today I cooked up some brisket, mac n cheese and some beans and sausage. Normal cook for football weekend.

I bought butcher paper because I love my wife and she always tells me I make a mess. I now prep everything on it and simply roll it up and toss it.

Well....today I decided to wrap the brisket in the butcher paper. Never did this before, but I knew it was something that people have recommended. I wrapped the brisket in the paper when I normally would wrap it in foil. I typically wrap for color than temp, but I would imagine my temp is somewhere around 160, as I stopped using temps about a year ago.

When I took the brisket off so that the flat could rest and for me to cut up the point and make burnt ends, my wife and I decided to sample it to make sure it was edible for company. Our expression was simultaneous and the same. It was the best brisket I have ever made. The taste was slightly different the brisket just seemed to have rendered differently I guess.

I can't explain the differences, but just that this was what I would now benchmark future cooks off of. This is the third brisket on the new cooker, all the same size, about 18lbs. I've cooked probably around 200 briskets in my life. For the past several years, my brisket has been spot on, but even my friends tasted the difference and said it was the best I ever made.

With no other differences at all in this cook vs. any other ones, what the did the butcher paper do? Or is this just something in my mind that I can't rationalize any other way.

Foil will trap the moisture (steam) and will cause a braising effect on your meat. The trapped moisture (steam) also produces a soft, soggy, and sometimes mushy bark.

Butcher paper will allow the meat to breath while it speeds up cooking time and Keeps the nice firm bark you desire. The meat is not braised or steamed as the moisture can escape.

Uncoated butcher paper is rated safe for direct contact with food, and yes it is safe to cook in the paper in a hot smoker. Paper unless modified by other chemicals doesn't burn by itself until about 450 degrees Fahrenheit. As long as the paper isn't exposed directly to the flame, hot charcoal, hot embers, the paper should be fine in a smoker under 380 degrees.

Famous book about "paper" burning.
Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradberry.
Madman is right.

I need to try this brothers and I am a virgin of the paper but need to learn what it is all about . :thumb:

I've resisted wrapping with anything, but guess it's time to give in and give butcher paper a shot. Thanks for the inspiration.

And uncoated butcher paper is thought to let most of the smoke in, isn't it?

Nope, helps keep additional smoke out just like foil but BP allows water vapor/steam to escape too; IamMadMan nailed to "science". I BP wrap at time, look & feel, when I think the bark is where I want it, usually about 4 hours at +/-325* then let it roll to probe tender, usually a 2 to 2-1/2 hours and rest for at least 1/2 hour (an hour or more is better).

The paper was uncoated. I saw that version.

That was a book I had to read in school. Very good book.

IamMadMan, thanks for the explanation. I really appreciate it.

I would recommend to others to at least try it. Now that I know I'm not losing my mind, it will be my new method.

That is why so many here swear by the BP wrap. Glad to hear of a great success. I love when a cook just works out. Makes all the practice and trial and error worth it.

The paper was uncoated.
I would recommend to others to at least try it.
Now that I know I'm not losing my mind, it will be my new method.

This is the fun of BBQ, we journey into areas we have never considered before as we follow the paths of those before us who have made these great discoveries. We can also share in the joy of these findings when we follow the methods of others and we can also have the same conclusions/findings.

I remember hearing about butcher paper many years ago and I simply thought it was "poppycock" and never considered it. That changed in 1999 when I met my mentor and I had to throw out all my preconceptions of BBQ.

Sharing technique and methods to help others is what the Brethren is all about. Don't be afraid to try something different or new...

This is the fun of BBQ, we journey into areas we have never considered before as we follow the paths of those before us who have made these great discoveries. We can also share in the joy of these findings when we follow the methods of others and we can also have the same conclusions/findings.

I remember hearing about butcher paper many years ago and I simply thought it was "poppycock" and never considered it. That changed in 1999 when I met my mentor and I had to throw out all my preconceptions of BBQ.

Sharing technique and methods to help others is what the Brethren is all about. Don't be afraid to try something different or new...

Post of the week right there, maybe the year :thumb:

I too have never tried bp, but have thought about it. I think I have the pink bp saved in my Amazon shopping cart. Lol! Perhaps its time!

I've never wrapped either. I've seen you tubes of some famous Texas guy who wraps in BP. Maybe I'll try it on my next brisket.

I have resisted using butcher paper, but I have tried everything I could do replicate Franklins brisket with no success. His brisket is amazing. Order placed with Amazon and I will update with my results soon.

This was a complete after thought, and I haven't been able to find the answer. Today I cooked up some brisket, mac n cheese and some beans and sausage. Normal cook for football weekend.

I bought butcher paper because I love my wife and she always tells me I make a mess. I now prep everything on it and simply roll it up and toss it.

Well....today I decided to wrap the brisket in the butcher paper. Never did this before, but I knew it was something that people have recommended. I wrapped the brisket in the paper when I normally would wrap it in foil. I typically wrap for color than temp, but I would imagine my temp is somewhere around 160, as I stopped using temps about a year ago.

When I took the brisket off so that the flat could rest and for me to cut up the point and make burnt ends, my wife and I decided to sample it to make sure it was edible for company. Our expression was simultaneous and the same. It was the best brisket I have ever made. The taste was slightly different the brisket just seemed to have rendered differently I guess.

I can't explain the differences, but just that this was what I would now benchmark future cooks off of. This is the third brisket on the new cooker, all the same size, about 18lbs. I've cooked probably around 200 briskets in my life. For the past several years, my brisket has been spot on, but even my friends tasted the difference and said it was the best I ever made.

With no other differences at all in this cook vs. any other ones, what the did the butcher paper do? Or is this just something in my mind that I can't rationalize any other way.

I have often thought that the paper is the proper balance for overcoming the stall. Foil traps the moisture 100% and creates a steaming affect which affects the bark and locks in most of the moisture in the meat. The braising affect.

While the paper creates a moisture barrier to slow the meat sweating-- it does not stop it 100%, because some of the steam escapes. You get the benefit of overcoming the stall with a well balanced moisture content in the finished product. I think the result is a more intense beefy flavor. No?

latest

Great thread! Are there any recommendations on brand and size of butcher paper? Does it come in different thicknesses?

Back