THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Doing some work on forum. You may experience an error when u try to post or save a setting. It's only temporary.

HossIsBoss

Full Fledged Farker
So at work were doing a potluck on Tuesday and since I work the morning shift were gonna do a breakfast potluck,I decided I would take a fatty now I have never done one so I need some help. What wood do I use, what temp to smoke at and what brand/flavor of sausage to use.

Thanks in advance.

There's a good thread on here somewhere that goes over it real well. I don't know where it is to link it but I'm sure someone will.
But to answer your questions I use Jimmy Dean maple sausage. Rub it with my rib rub. Smoke it with pecan and cherry or apple at around 250-275 until internal temp is about 175. 175 is about where I like it. Some pull it off at 165 IT, some 180. That's about it. It's pretty simple.

Edit: Oh and do several at once. They take a couple hours and go fast!

I haven't done one lately but I think Jimmy Dean is the standard. Whatever brand type you like will work. Flavor is up to you I would keep it simple and just use mild. About 2.5 hours at 250 I think. 165f internal. Others will have better info. I am just getting it started.

What kind of fatty are you wanting to do? A simple roll of Jimmy Dean, or a custom ground beef roll, stuffed with goodies and covered with a bacon lattice?

Them were the days, I'd get them big JD logs at Sam's and smoke several at a time. They never lasted very long.

AHhh last I looked at fattie fodder it was pork. So what temp do you normally cook at and what rub do you normally use and what wood tastes good with allthings BBQ? I'll give ya this one come closer I don't want this to get around, Psst don't tell any one it is HICKORY shhh Now go rub rub your chub:laugh:

Jimmy Dean, Bob Evans, any good quality breakfast sausage works great. I have used a brand I was not familiar with and was not happy with it.
If you choose, give it a dusting of your favorite rub - into your cooker till the IT is 165isn. I don't usually rub them with anything, I go naked.

As someone else said, don't ever, EVER, cook just one. I would cook 4 - one for the family, and the rest to take to work. You will be very popular.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Our first fatty! Breakfast style.....

We used the following:
Sausage (Pubilx brand)
Hashbrowns
Onion
Cheese (provolone)
Two Boiled Eggs

Wrapped all that in bacon and cooked it in the oven.

SO GOOD!!

Back