Brisket tomorrow and a question or two.

lankster35

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I have a 12.5lb choice brisket before trimming from Sams for $2.98lb...pretty good I thought. I am using equal parts kosher salt and med/course ground pepper with granulated garlic - about half the amount of pepper. My wife got a good one - a little thin on the flat but nice brisket.

To late to ask when I should season it since I just did and stuck it in the fridge until 6am tomorrow. I gave it a good liberal coating but not caked on like I would with a butt. Think that is ok? - as I said too late :)

I'm not the fast and hot cooker....still old school and low and slow so will be about 250 or under and no wrapping for me. Oak and Pecan sticks will be my go to tomorrow and I will try and take some pics to post before during and after.

Any comments, thoughts, hints etc.. are appreciated.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em - Bob

The politically correct rub is equal parts salt & pepper, by weight, not cup measurement. But I freestyle rubs (salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic, cumin) and when I run out, I start over... No rules.

If you used a lot of rub on it, and it is high in salt, the meat will pick up more salt flavor than if you rubbed right before cooking. But it's such a big piece of meat it will likely be just fine. Definitely don't recommend rubbing ribs with salt and letting them sit overnight unless you really like salty.

I haven't smoked a brisket under 300 in a while.... Just keep going until the flat probes tender is my best advice. And don't open your smoker unless you have to ;) Here's my latest creation, a 15lb one that was really nice and thick and didn't take much trim. Basically no wrap at high temp, fat cap down. Was more than acceptable.

image.jpg

Sorry for two posts, could only get one photo to upload on first.

image.jpg

Thanks - that looks like about the thickness I put on. I know about the weight vs. measurement but since I used a coarser ground kosher salt I thought equal parts would be ok and as you said it is a big ole hunkof meat so should be ok.

I'm a fan of the big thick brisket now. I was amazed at how this last one shrunk. I was messing around with 10-12 lb primes for a while. This 15lb choice cooked about 30% faster than a small prime and tasted better. I have a few selects frozen, eager to cook one of those. I'm not a fan of a lot of marbling in the point.

I'm west of you in FW. I was buying Costco primes for $4/lb. Not bad price, but don't think I'll do that again. Albertersons ran a deal on choice last week for $3, limit one. So I went, wife went, buddy went. HEB usually runs a good deal around the summer holidays, last year was $2lb for select, so I stocked up. I start checking the grocery ads when I'm running low.

They just look real fat. The Sams one I got was thin on the flat end. When I said same thickness I meant the seasoning but the $2.98 price at Sams was good enough.

Some early on pics of the Brisket

Sitting at 250ish and 170 internal. Haven't peaked at it yet but will add another pic when I do. Didn't really like the chuck-o-fat on the fatty end but it is trimmed down to just a 1/4 inch or so. Should be fine.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em...

Bob

Last edited:
Eagerly awaiting your results.

Saw some choice briskets at WalMart yesterday for $2.99/lb.

If y'all aren't busy Saturday May 30th come out & meet some more North Texas folks. Click link below.

Saturday Brisket Update

189deg IT at 6.5 hours in. Been holding between 250-275 and all is well......as a matter a fact I noticed it is 12n straight up and you know what that means......

It means order pizza and don't rush that brisket. Patience young padawan! Besides it's gotta rest after it's done.

Last edited:
Yeah I usually trim out that big hard piece of fat over the point end. It will never render and only gets in the way of putting smoke and rub on more of the meat that you can actually eat (and even if some of it does render a bit, the flavor isnt one you really want).

It takes a little more time trimming to get rid of it. Just take you time and follow the fat lines going just a little at a time to make sure you dont cut into the point. You can really feel the texture of that fat as it is much harder than the soft fat over the flat.

Good luck with it. It might come out a little salty but I found that if that does happen, the meat makes for some of the best brisket nachos and tacos you will have ever eaten.

I knew my probe wasn't located right since there was no way I could have been at 195 in only 7 hours at 250 degrees. Re-positioned the probe and now at 176......I probed the flat end and it was still pretty firm so as expected.....another 5 hours for all you hot-n-fast cookers out there who are already eating your briskets......I'll just have another beer......

Looks good so far. Ready for the end results. I'm with you on the beer. Sitting here with my offset chugging along drinkin beer on this beautiful day. Enjoy!

Final pics...not sliced yet.....

I think it looks and smells spot on! Now the real test will be when we try it in a few hours..........9 hours...12lbs....250-270....final internal temp was 201....Wrapped the last 1.5 hours and unwrapped when I took it off.....

Last edited:
Back