Good Brisket / Bad Brisket

pjtexas1

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I had a thread the other day about leaking cryo bags. i am posting this thread so maybe someone else can learn from my misfortune. i had a prime packer in the freezer for about a year. put it in the fridge to thaw and the bag leaked a lot of blood. no big deal as most of the time they turn out good. it was in the fridge for 4 days. i had one previously that turned out really weird so i cooked 2 just in case. the cook was for my daughter and her friends who went to the north texas bash last week and had to leave before the briskets were done.- thanks smitty :tsk:

anyway, the prime cooked like normal and looked good but the taste was just nothing...plain...like i didn't put any rub on...couldn't even taste beef. it did have a few brown spots that i assumed were from air getting in the cryo. i trimmed off the brown areas and it did not smell off or weird. here are a couple of pics.

brisket unwrapped.jpg
brisket prime bad.jpg
brisket prime bad bend test.jpg

the 2nd one i cooked was bought that day and was a select grade. the fresh select brisket was way better, rub was good, flavor was good, tender, juicy. i used the same rub on both, wrapped both in bp and they were done on the same cooker. only difference was the age and the leaky cryo bag. not sure what the moral of the story is as i have had way more turn out good than bad with leaky cryo bags.:confused: just glad i cooked the 2nd one as insurance.

brisket select good.jpg
brisket select sliced.jpg

I have been cooking prime briskets from HEB for a while now. Used to get Choice. I keep looking at the "Select" and wonder sometimes if the extra $$ is worth it. You thread has me thinking again when you said the select brisket was tender and juicy.

i was not trying to say that the select was better as a rule but that the leaky cryo bag may have some sort of affect on the meat. i do believe that any grade can be cooked properly and turn out good. i cook all kinds especially when people bring them to me to cook.

Most of the packers I cook are Select about 90% and 10% are Choice. I never look at the grading I look at the meat and buy the ones with the best marbling. As to the flavor I blame the cow and it's diet.

Most of the packers I cook are Select about 90% and 10% are Choice. I never look at the grading I look at the meat and buy the ones with the best marbling. As to the flavor I blame the cow and it's diet.

so you have had this happen before???

I have found that when I cook for four people, I could easily get away with cooking just the point. Most of my buds prefer the more moist meat of the point anyway. The flat get little or not attention. My local HEB has points all the time but they are usually Select grade. Maybe will try one assuming it has not been market trimmed too much.

I had a guy ask me to Smoke him a All Grass Fed Brisket -he splits a cow with a relative from a farm every year. LEAN and PLAIN Tasting.!

I have found that when I cook for four people, I could easily get away with cooking just the point. Most of my buds prefer the more moist meat of the point anyway. The flat get little or not attention. My local HEB has points all the time but they are usually Select grade. Maybe will try one assuming it has not been market trimmed too much.

i would give the select points a try. if i had magical powers i would take the point off a select and put it on a prime flat. i find that sometimes the points on primes have, if you can believe, too much marbling.:crazy:

when i go to test a bbq joint i always ask for the flat. it's almost impossible to screw up the point. now getting the flat to stay juicy/tender takes some work and/or experience.

It sounds like freezer burn to me. Freezer burn will kill the taste of protein pretty quick, even with a tiny hole in the bag.

I do not think frozen brisket is as tender or flavorful as non frozen. Sam's brisket is not frozen. I like to buy one and age it in the walk in cooler for about three weeks then smoke it. This is just my humble opinion.

I think being frozen for a year was your problem. Like kfdvm I buy mine then wet age in fridge for 3 to 4 weeks. Really helps the meat start to relax.

I just grilled up a 1" thick Prime Ribeye from HEB to perfect rare perfection, No flavor none zero, zip, no nadda, blan azz beef.

I still have at least 3 primes in the freezer that are 9 or so months old. Been doing it this way for a long time. Guess the next time the cryo breaks I'll have to do another side by side experiment.

I think being frozen for a year was your problem. Like kfdvm I buy mine then wet age in fridge for 3 to 4 weeks. Really helps the meat start to relax.

I never let anything get older than 6 months in my freezer. My usual turnover is 2-3 months. IMHO beef starts degrading after 6 months. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :butt:

I always thought meat was good for years at 0 degrees but I guess quality takes a dive. I just dug thru the freezer and found 2 briskets from July 2014...any takers?:shocked: could have sworn I had them in order by date. :doh:

I always thought meat was good for years at 0 degrees but I guess quality takes a dive. I just dug thru the freezer and found 2 briskets from July 2014...any takers?:shocked: could have sworn I had them in order by date. :doh:

Hell yeah, mail them to me!:clap:

Back