To Cook Or Not To Cook???

I bought chicken today and the sell buy date was well past five days from now.

That is my chicken, your chicken is your business

Yeah that's my point as well. Most stores keep chicken well over 5 days. Also sell by dates by design are meant to be conservative. Just like internal temps they publish

I would toss them and start over. Botulism has no odor and since you transported them from the store, exposed them to the environment, added your marinade and put in a low oxygen container they have had additional exposure than just being under refrigeration at the retailer. But that is just me.
You can always use them for bait.

I took no chances with the chicken, even though there was no foul odor, I threw the chicken into the trash. Went to Wal-Mart and bought about 10 pounds of FRESH Wings!!! And a very big stainless steel dog dish to make my version of a Vortex for my Weber grill. I made the vortex last night, and I couldn't resist the urge to try it out. so I cooked up a new batch of fresh chicken wings! The vortex worked awesome, and the wigs came out great!
I'll start a new thread on that if I need to.

My wife would have made me eat them...she always makes me drink the milk after the expiration date.
She says "You bought them...you eat them!" :sick:

Sealed up chicken for 5 days I wouldn't have an issue, especially if it wasn't past expiration (not that expiration means a ton). Opening and seasoning adds another variable. But if they didn't smell bad I'd cook them within 5 days assuming stored at the correct temp.

I'm normally a guy to say pitch it in similar threads, but those are instances where a fridge stopped and start up or something to where they was an unknown of how long something was in the danger zone. I don't see that here.

There is a ton of veritables. Normally I would say toss it. But in my refigerator as cold as it is, just right at 33 in the cold spot. And it was fresh chicken. And I used A lot of salt. I would say maybe, and probably. If it was a dry rub. The packages were not expanding. Expanding baggies is a sure sign of bacteria growth. And also if you vacuum sealed it. That helps a lot. But you need to ask yourself. Is it really worth it........

But, if it was let's say 36 degree or warmer temps........ Oh hands down toss that bird in the trash........ Chicken, fish and seafood, as others have said is nothing to mess around with. Chicken is the worst....

Jason TQ , I purchased the chicken about a year ago, brought it home rinsed it , dried it then vacuum bagged it and then put it in my freezer. I thawed it out last Sunday seasoned it, and put it into air tight storage containers, and then put it back into the fridge. My main reason for being concerned about it after almost 5 days was that I did not have a current expiration date to go by. I really did not think that the chicken was bad , but I suffered through a very bad experience with food poisoning a few years ago , and I would not wish that experience onto anyone.

Pstores, I keep my fridge at 33 degrees also. I used a homemade dry rub to season the chicken...no salt.

I have a newbie question....how do I post pictures?

It's fairly unintuitive so a lot of the guys use Flickr etc to avoid doing it.

1) click the paper clip to attach a file
2) upload your photos
3) usually your photos will show at this point but I recommend you copy the links to the photos.

Thank you for your help and answer IbrahimSS. I have not used Flickr, so I will have to do some studying about it.

Back