Just ordered my first pellet smoker

irishboy209

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I just ordered my first pellet smoker, its a Davey Crockett Green Mountain grill. Anyone have any experience with these? Did I make a good choice

Have never cooked on one, but have read mixed reviews. What are your expectations? Low n slow only? Are you hoping to grill? Are you used to a lot of smoke, or do you prefer a lighter smoke profile.

Have never cooked on one, but have read mixed reviews. What are your expectations? Low n slow only? Are you hoping to grill? Are you used to a lot of smoke, or do you prefer a lighter smoke profile.

I will not be grilling I have a 700 plus degree infrared grill I use.

I do like a stronger smoke flavor which I doubt pellets will produce, I am mainly looking for ease of use and set it and 4 get it, something I can use on weekdays while at work and I don't have to tend to a fire constantly.

I was going to get an electric smoker for this and decided to go pellet

They are really nice for the price. Ive used them and watched people use them, but never owned one. They actually put out quite a bit of smoke. Steady stream compared to some other units I've used. Main downside is most report significant temp differences side to side. Most of the time I would consider this complaint overblown as many pellet cookers (and other types) have this, but given the small interior size of this unit it could prove to be a real problem depending on what you are cooking.

bajatom4934

You made a good choice. I have read nothing but great reviews on the GMG. I have a RecTec and enjoy the set it and forget cooking with a pellet. It does not produce the smoke flavor I was accustomed too with a stick burner. I have gotten very good comments on my briskets. I really can't tell any difference in flavor or bite in PP from my stick burner. Enjoy the ease of cooking you are going to experience soon. I'm getting ready to cook 3 whole boneless ribeye roasts on my RecTec next week. Good luck.

Last edited:
I've had mine for a while and I love it. Turns out impressive Q in such a tiny, portable package. Here's a chuckie I did on it last night for dinner:

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Yes, the side by the grease bucket will be cooler than by the temp probe. I use that to my advantage, as I rarely have a piece of meat that's the same thickness all the way through. Thin side goes by the exhaust and i'm good to go.

I've cooked on a GMG at a friend's house and was happy with it. It will be lighter smoke flavor, but you can use things like and Amazen tube to supplement smoke if you want to.

They are really nice for the price. Ive used them and watched people use them, but never owned one. They actually put out quite a bit of smoke. Steady stream compared to some other units I've used. Main downside is most report significant temp differences side to side. Most of the time I would consider this complaint overblown as many pellet cookers (and other types) have this, but given the small interior size of this unit it could prove to be a real problem depending on what you are cooking.

someone else told me that the smaller footprint of this unit actually smokes better than the bigger units,

I wonder if there's a mod to get more even Heat or how much of a difference it is

You made a good choice. I have read nothing but great reviews on the GMG. I have a RecTec and enjoy the set it and forget cooking with a pellet. It does not produce the smoke flavor I was accustomed too with a stick burner. I have gotten very good comments on my briskets. I really can't tell any difference in flavor or bite from my stick burner. Enjoy the ease of cooking you are going to experience soon. I'm getting ready to cook 3 whole boneless ribeye roasts on my RecTec next week. Good luck.

I would love to have a Rec Tec but it was out of my budget by the time you pay shipping and everything

I played around with pellets in the past with my electric or propane smoker I've always had to add wood chips or chunks because of the lack of flavor I imagine I will have to do the same, I have a metal strainer that I dumped a little bit of pellets in the bottom that are burning red hot then I throw my chunks on top works really good I think I will add that to my pellet smoker

Last edited:
I've had mine for a while and I love it. Turns out impressive Q in such a tiny, portable package. Here's a chuckie I did on it last night for dinner:

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Yes, the side by the grease bucket will be cooler than by the temp probe. I use that to my advantage, as I rarely have a piece of meat that's the same thickness all the way through. Thin side goes by the exhaust and i'm good to go.

Great advice on how to position the meat

bajatom4934

Tell me how you got your brisket to look that way on your pellet smoke. Thanks

unattended pellet cooker?

I will not be grilling I have a 700 plus degree infrared grill I use.

I do like a stronger smoke flavor which I doubt pellets will produce, I am mainly looking for ease of use and set it and 4 get it, something I can use on weekdays while at work and I don't have to tend to a fire constantly.

I was going to get an electric smoker for this and decided to go pellet

Do folks here really leave their pellet cookers on while away at work? I would be too nervous about a jam or something and a fire.

Do folks here really leave their pellet cookers on while away at work? I would be too nervous about a jam or something and a fire.

I leave mine on overnight with alarms hooked up on the maverick, and also will leave while it's on to run errands. I probably wouldn't leave it unattended while I worked for 8 hours, but I wouldn't think it would be completely unreasonable if someone did.

As long as its a safe distance from the house or garage, realistically the worst thing that can happen is your food would be ruined. If you get a jam, the fire will go out and you lose your meat. If you had a grease fire you may burn up your meat, but the fire in all likelihood would be contained within the grill.

Is it the safest practice ever? Probably not, but there are alot worse things you could do.

someone else told me that the smaller footprint of this unit actually smokes better than the bigger units,

I wonder if there's a mod to get more even Heat or how much of a difference it is

They run a steady stream of blue almost constantly. I've heard upwards of 50 degrees or more side to side. Some less. Haven't kept up on fixes since I don't have one, but I'd suggest playing around with fire bricks. I had up to 70 degree differences in my whole hog pellet. After some brick placement tests, I got it down to 25-30 most days.

Probably not the safest thing in the world to leave a pit unattended no matter what but I'm pretty comfortable with it as long as you have it in a safe place where nothing could catch fire Plus since I can't control things with my phone I could shut it down and it will throw me a message if there is a jam or flame out or something along those lines since its all Wi-Fi connected to my phone shoot it even tell me when I need to fill up my hopper

They run a steady stream of blue almost constantly. I've heard upwards of 50 degrees or more side to side. Some less. Haven't kept up on fixes since I don't have one, but I'd suggest playing around with fire bricks. I had up to 70 degree differences in my whole hog pellet. After some brick placement tests, I got it down to 25-30 most days.
that's a great idea do you by chance have any pictures of this setup?

I bet adding lava rock to the bottom would also help even out the heat

that's a great idea do you by chance have any pictures of this setup?

I bet adding lava rock to the bottom would also help even out the heat

I have a pic, but I don't think it will help you much. The firepot design and size are completely different. In my case the fan was blowing the hot air down to the end of the grill so the hot end was opposite the firepot.

The idea was to deflect and absorb some of that super hot air before it circulated into the top of the pit. I played with several configurations before this one, and for whatever reason it works.

Just be careful to not interrupt air flow too much, or you may end up with some soot issues.

If you try the lava rock may want to try it just on the hot side. See if it helps absorb the heat to keep it on the bottom of the pit instead of at grate level. Smaller pits are notorious for being tricky for even temps so there may only be so much you can do.

Back