Using pellets in smoker that appear to have gotten wet

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I was just filling up my Rec Tec pellet hopper with pellets and the bottom few inches of pellets in the bag appear to have taken on a bit of water at some point. Rather than looking hard and cylindrical they are a bit larger and fuzzy looking. They haven't turned into sawdust and are still in individual pellet shape, they just appear to have gotten a bit damp at some point.

I'm guessing they'll still run through the chute just fine and will burn like any other pellet. AFter all, some people even burn sawdust in their smoke snakes -- but has anyone tried this with either positive or negative results?

Thanks

I have heard folks talk of drying then in a microwave before use...But if they have started to swell I dont know how well this will work...

If the "Fuzzy" looking you refer to is not mold, then as long as it will pass through the feed they should work fine. I store my cold smoking pellets in the shed and occasionally some expand, but they burn fine.

I remembered reading Rectec's website warning to not let pellets get wet lest it will harden around the auger turning into cement like substance. Causing expensive repair.

I remembered reading Rectec's website warning to not let pellets get wet lest it will harden around the auger turning into cement like substance. Causing expensive repair.

This happened to me. I didnt realize it but the pellets got wet inside the smoker and solidified around the auger. I was able to get to it and break up the mass and didn't have to have it repaired, but it did ruin a cook where I started the cooker and then went in the house for a while without checking the progress and the fuel stopped and the temps dropped. I had to throw out some meat.

These pellets have expanded a bit but there's no mold and they aren't stuck together. They seem to be burning fine -- I've had the cooker running for the last 7+ hours.

Back