Well its done. I bought an Akorn! My first smoker/charcoal grill!

The_Real_McCoy

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Thanks for all yalls help answering my questions iver the last few days. I got it at lowes and used a 50 off coupon for a total of 263 after tax. That leaves me 40 bucks in my budget to get a cover and a thermometer. Im going to pick it up soon! After I assemble it do I need to season it or anything or can I jump right in?

Congrats! There are seasoning instructions included. The seasoning doesn't take long. Fire it up and get that sucker rolling thin blue smoke!

Congrats! All the folks I know that have an Acorn love it!

Congrats! I'd season any smoker for a little bit and then add something greasy like a fatty.

You need a heat diverter of some kind .lowes and home depot both have their smoking stones for 40$. It'll make holding low temps easy.you only need to barely crack the top and bottom for 250 to 275. Mine doesn't like lower than 250.

Congratulations on your new cooker. As stated above, you can't go wrong by starting out with a fatty. It's a quick cook and they are oh so gooooood!

Congratulations! If you're anything like me, you'll be looking around seeing what other smokers are out there :)

Congratulations! If you're anything like me, you'll be looking around seeing what other smokers are out there :)

That's the truth. These things are addictive. I have an offset vertical on order with LSG that's probably at least another 6 or 7 weeks out, but I'm already trying to decide what to buy next. It's crazy!:loco:

Get the charcoal grate for a 22.5 weber kettle. You can put the diffuser and water pan on it.

im looking at this or pbc. let us know how difficult low and slow is on it.

My lowes actually had one but it was out of my budget. Im planning on using a pizza dish from walmart wrapped in foil

If you already have the one from Walmart, then I understand.....gotta work within your budget.

If not, then wait a while until you can afford the CharGriller Smoking Stone. It's a thick piece that will last so long as you handle it with care.

Great heat shield !!!!!

That's the truth. These things are addictive. I have an offset vertical on order with LSG that's probably at least another 6 or 7 weeks out, but I'm already trying to decide what to buy next. It's crazy!:loco:

You might be just in front of or behind me in line. My vertical offset was ordered 4 weeks ago tomorrow and they said 10 - 12 weeks when I got in queue... :tsk:

Congrats! I too took the plunge in an Akorn and will have my NCD (new cooker day) thread promptly posted after I recieve it. Let us know how you like it. Remember to catch those temps going up!

Looking fwd to the pics and pron!!

Congrats! Welcome to the madness. I used to think these guys were ALL insane buying cooker after cooker. Now look at my signature after a few years on here. I have no self control.:tsk:

I think I have that same pizza stone. Used it for a long time in one of my verticals as a diffuser. Never had any issues.

Back