Smoked Squid

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I saw an episode of DDD where he went to a little place in Hawaii called Fresh Catch. The owner smoked some squid for 4 hours. "Don't ask me what temperature it is" he says.

I am wanting to try this for my wife. I plan to remove the 2nd shelf in my WSM and hang the squid down from the upper grate. I already bought a bunch of stainless steel S hooks. I'll leave the foiled water pan in as a diffuser. Any other suggestions?

Here is a link to the video. The squid part starts about 5 mins in:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZDaeo5GU2A"]DDD FRESHCATCH - YouTube[/ame]

Weber makes a ring for the 22.5" WSM to hang food from. other than that i don't have much to add. Good luck, look forward to the cook.

Weber makes a ring for the 22.5" WSM to hang food from. other than that i don't have much to add. Good luck, look forward to the cook.

Thanks Grimm. I was trying to find a way to hang it from my existing rack. Took a couple mins to find the item you were talking about. Looks like it will work better and provide more hanging room. Ordered...

Now I just need to figure out a temp. I am thinking it is more on the low and slow side.

You mean octopus? That smoked tako (octopus) looks delish. I often have tako served as sushi (not raw), texture looks identical as the video, but not smoked....probably simply boiled for sushi, I would imagine.

Yeah, Octopus. Same thing to me (I know, not really). Wife loves the stuff. She eats it dried like jerky, steamed and dipped in sauce, and cooked in soups and stews. Me? Not so much.

I figure if I can smoke some for her, I get to Q and make brownie points with the wife... :mrgreen:

I've grilled squid before. It's a common menu item in Japanese taverns. I also love to munch on dried squid, usually the shredded variety. You can find them at most Asian markets.

Yeah, my wife has a large supply in the freezer(s). I need to buy a deep freezer so I can have some room to store beef and pork. We have our main side by side fridge, a Korean "Kimchee" fridge, and a smaller over under in the garage. I think I have two racks of ribs in one, but most of the rest of the freezer space is taken with Asian food.

:doh:

Don't forget to hit the octopus with coarse salt, a workout to deslime and a good rinse!

Asmodeus

Always grill some spicy squid when I go to Korean BBQ, hot and fast. Never thought to smoke one, but I love smoked oysters, so it sounds great.

Squid doesn't need the salt treatment, unless you have huge squid. That, of course, is octopus, and it does need the salt massage, that softens the meat as deslimes. There are other ways, such as beating on a rock and curing in the sun.

Smoking does seem interesting, and I bet that poke is great.

We plan on trying to follow the video which does include the salt treatment. She knew when she saw him doing it exactly what he was doing and what it would do to the octopus.

Back