I am sticking with the weber WSM

titan7

Knows what a fatty is.
I have been a WSM user for 4 years, started with an 18' then added a 22. I was so going to get a big custom cabinet smoker or offset smoker. The cost was not an issue but I thought when am I actually going to need that much room for my wife and I. I do larger cooks 3-4 times per year for parties, but that is 8 racks of ribs, a 15 lb brisket and a couple butts. I was going between a large cabinet smoker or just adding another 22 WSM. Well, after much debate, I went with a second WSM. So I may not have the coolest custom smoker, but these webers just put out such good Q, for so little cost, it was too hard to move up to a custom smoker. Hopefully I can still hang out here even with my WSMs. Maybe one day I will just throw logic out the window and spring for a custom built pit.

Of course you can hang out here with your WSMs!
I have ten of them and they let me play here yet.
Dollar for dollar WSMs are the best value for backyard pits IMO.

In the words of the Templar Knight: "You chose......wisely."

Nothing wrong with the WSM. Its a fantastic smoker. I learned alot from mine.

I upgraded to an insulated cabinet smoker, because I started doing big cooks almost always, and it became cumbersome using the WSM. I still use the WSM for small cooks from time to time, but the cabinet smoker sees 90% of the action!

You made a good choice!

bbq is bbq regardless of the tool...you dont have to sink thousands to cook bbq...

I don't use my 22 wsm as much anymore, but can't image getting rid of it. It can cook a lot of food and is lightweight and portable. And of course puts out awesome stuff!

If it works for you then don't worry about if most people would go for the custom. If you are happy then just enjoy it. I have a 14.5" WSM and it's not bad. Little more difficult to run than the kamado. It is all about what can you get the best results with. I prefer kamados myself now but you know it is all about preference. Enjoy it and post plenty of pics.

WSM are great. I didn't get one just because I wanted to see if I could build a UDS and I did and love it! I built a couple more for other folks too, and turned out cheaper in parts to do it myself, as long as you don't count the time I put in it. If I didn't do that I would have gone with the WSM. Good choice and enjoy!!

Thanks, I love the Q this thing does. Perhaps one day I will get a stick burner until then my Kamado Joe and two WSMs work great.

Not a bad choice at all man... I learned the basics of BBQing from my uncle who's had a 22.5 WSM for about 5 years. When I decided to buy a smoker and start cooking on my own I picked up a 22.5 WSM for myself. If I had the need I would totally buy another one as well.

I have the same problem! But I'm 10,000 miles away and it costs an absolute fortune to bring something like a Chubby or a Stubb's or a Humphrey's smoker to Australia. Almost the cost of the smoker in freight, so I suppose that makes it easier for me to put it off and keep enjoying what i'm getting out of my WSM!

You know the great thing about WSMs....they retain their value pretty well. So if you get in a situation where you're cooking volume to consider another (3rd) WSM, you could sell them and put a chunk of change down on a cabinet. That's my plan anyways :mrgreen:

I'm the same as you man. It would be great to have something even nicer, but most of the time I'm only cooking for 2-5 people, which my WSM is perfect for.

nothing wrong with a wsm!!! old school and rightious!!! also, you can soup that baby up with items from cajunbandit.com, a lifter hinge, a smoking jacket for times you might need it to be insulated. also from cajun bandit you could get a rotisserie ring and a pellet ring for times that you may want the covienience of a pellet smoker and an extender for extra space.

I think it's pretty smart. You already know that cooker very well. It's pretty flawless and easy to use and I've always enjoyed great food from a WSM. My old college room mate has had the same one since they started making them and I look forward to that 4th of July brisket he does every year!

WSM are great for smaller cooks, they've done me well in BBQ comps here in TX :wink:
I'd love to get a Pitmaker Sniper but it's hard to justify the cost when WSMs work so good. One day though...

Back