Venison Tenderloin - Ideas?

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
I friend gave me a whole venison tenderloin. I have never cooked one. He said to treat it like steak.

What do you think Brethren?

David
The Swine Spectator

I would cook it whole, like a prime rib instead of a steak. Otherwise treat it like beef; marinade or dry brine if you wish, then smoke and reverse sear when medium rare. I would NOT let it go over 135 degrees, since the marbling is virtually non-existant, and it'll get dry very quickly.

I got one of those from a neighbor just before Christmas along with a couple roasts. Used Cowgirl's recipe for venison pastrami and it was absolutely great.

Hot and fast like a good steak. I like to bacon wrap like a filet. Cook to rare or you will end up with a dried out gamey piece of meat.

cast iron pan with butter little garlic powder & salt med high heat cut the lion into 3/8 thick

Did one in December. 300* w/hickory. Wrapped in bacon, SPOG, cooked until *140, came out just fine. Didn't dry out for being 140 I.T.

Backstrap or tenderloin? I like the tenderloin similar to pork tenderloin...season, reverse sear to medium rare(pork you'd go alittle further). Can do the same to backstrap but around here we cut it into chops and country fried steak um.

I bet it was a LOIN or backstrap, not a Tenderloin, which is pretty small.
I'd cook it less, pull it at 120 or so, overcooked venison is chili (or grillades) bound.
This is a tiny bit under done, but not by much - it was delicious -
Just some Montreal steak seasoning and a quick hot grill...

When my neighbor Ronald brought us a fresh venison tenderloin last fall, we made him dinner on Sunday. Not grilled or smoked, but a big time feed:

Pan Seared Venison cut into medallions with a savory blueberry sauce
Spicy dried fruit pilaf with cherries, apricots, pears and peaches
Colcannon
String Beans

Apple crisp with ice cream (not in pic) for desert

IMG_1573_zps66be4090.jpg

I would soak it in milk first to pull out all the blood. The milk will turn pink. It will be tender and taste great!

Spud, that looks fantastic.
Reminds me of a great game recipe from Williams Sonoma - "Grilled Duck Breasts w/ cherry Zinfandel" - substitute venison for the duck.

You probably have a backstrap-(back loin). I cut them about 3/4 inch thick, put in a ziplock with worchestershire, tony chachere, black pepper and let sit an hour or two. Get a grill searing hot with charcoal and wood chunks for smoke, cook about 2 1/2 minutes per side, take off and eat immediately with tiger sauce.

Jack

Thanks all for the ideas. I cut the loin/tenderloin into 1"-1 1/4" steaks. I marinated them in buttermilk for an hour to get some of the blood out, and then seasoned them.

I grilled them at ~500° for 2 1/2 min per side and pulled at about 120° IT. Here they are served with Ancho Chili-roasted cauliflower and a side salad:
picture.php

The money shot:
picture.php

Back