Help a brethren out...

MrDsmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ok so I've been BBQing for a couple years and am confident in my skills so I'm at the point of what's next. I'm currently cooking on wsm's but I know I want to upgrade smokers (don't we all). The only way I can really justify buying a big smoker is to use to make some money. I've decided that I want to do some farmers markets and other vending however I don't know what cooker to invest in. The two options are LSG standard with a few options or the Lang 84 deluxe. I know I know... Two totally different smokers. One is set it and forget it while the other requires some baby sitting. I think the LSG has great capacity for vending and will be a great cooker for a beginning vender. The Lang has pretty much equal capacity however it can do what I really want to do which is whole hogs! So I'm wrestling back and forth with getting the LSG, making money and save up for my big hog cooker or just go with the Lang find a wood supplier and wing it. What do you guys think?!

I'll only say this. If you are going to be working all day selling at a farmers market, wouldn't it be nice to have a stable pit that you don't have to babysit all night? The LSG cabinet will do that. I have no experience with Lang's, but I thought they were stick burners which need tending...

Many people around here that sell at farmer's markets use UDS with multi-racks, they are easily portable and work well with little attention needed.

However you'll never be able to cook a whole hog in them.

The bottom line is that only you know your needs and what will work for you. Reference the units and compare options, and choose what best fits your needs.

The first thing that you need to do is find out what you need to do this legally. Check with your local health department and look at the local Cottage Food Industry laws to see if selling BBQ at a farmer's market is allowed. Around here if I want to do this I have to have a certified kitchen for food prep and a certified commissary for food storage.

Check with your local health department. I know here in Maryland I have to certified Kitchen and commissary and they will not approve any "pull behind" pits. all cooking devices have to in the vending facility. Ie under the roof of a porch trailer.

I you need food for a farmers market that starts at 9:00 am you will be up most of the night smoking with an offset.
You have to decide if your willing to do that.

Thanks guys. My next step is checking with my local health department. I will have access to a commercial kitchen if needed but I'll have to work out a deal on how much to pay the owner based on usage. Honestly the LSG is more practical and I already like their staff from the emails that we've exchanged. Hogs are my passion and I study everything about cooking whole hogs but that might have to wait.

Check with your local health department. I know here in Maryland I have to certified Kitchen and commissary and they will not approve any "pull behind" pits. all cooking devices have to in the vending facility. Ie under the roof of a porch trailer.

Wow. So you really have to cook everything in trailer? Very interesting and I wonder if all venders do abide by it.

I cook everything on my trailer using sp 700 when busy I could not imagine using a stick burner rush hour be ready for ,2 _3 sandwich a minute plus your sides. Make it simple and easy for you. Lots work but I put 20 butts in and 20 briskets load th he fire box and go to bed for 6 hours
R

Back