Pernil al Horno (best pork Ive ever had)

Here is the basis for the recipe I used for the marinade. I added ancho chiles and a dash of cumin as well.. I also forgot to mention its important to cut slits into the butt so you can get the marinade down deep into the meat..

7 lbs. pork shoulder - picnic cut (with fat)
9 garlic cloves (You may use powder garlic or ground garlic sold in glass jars - 1 tsp. equals one clove.)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 Handful fresh oregano
1½ tablespoons olive oil
1½ teaspoon salt
Ancho chlie powder
Dash of cumin
1 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
That looks really good. Have two butts in the freezer waiting for "that" recipe. Might have found one...

Question? Did you use a 4lb butt or a 7lb picnic?

Sorry bout that.. I copied the recipe directly from the interwebs. I used a 4lb butt. Recipe called for a 7lb picnic. Don't know if their would be much difference other than cooking time.

I wasn't even half through your post before I started thinking "I am so doing this" - by the end, I was a goner - looks great and I look forward to checking this out!

Some arroz con gandules would've been GREAT with that beautiful pork

I just googled it and that looks awesome! Our Spanish rice was good and all, but that sounds amazing. Might have to try it with the leftovers..

Bien! My wife comes from PR lineage and we use that marinade quite frequently on chops and butts - no smoke either.

Back