Chicken With Alabama White Sauce

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Chicken with Alabama White Sauce has been on my to do list for quite a while now. I finally got around to it today.

Rubbed and smoked a chicken on the BPS drum.

Plated.

It was definitely different. I really liked the sauce with the chicken and will do it again in the near future.

That's a really nice color in the chicken. I like the white sauce too. Been awhile since I've made it.

That is a beautiful looking bird.

Looks great but, answer me a Question.
I googled Alabama White sauce and got so many hits on it.
Mayo based? whats your Recipe please.?

I used Chris Lilly's recipe which is published in quite a few places. I actually found it on a sample page on Amazon. I cut the recipe in half and it was enough for a whole chicken.

Ingredients
  • 2 cups mayonnaise
  • 1 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup apple juice
  • 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
(Makes 4 cups)
Directions
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and blend well. Use as a marinade, baste, or dipping sauce. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

Beautiful chicken and plate!!!

Alabama white sauce rocks chicken!

Yup I love AWS as well once in a while...especially hot Summer months it just seems to fit the bill.

Yours looks fantastic.

I use pretty much the same recipe the op posted. I'll just add that I make mine a day before using it. The flavors really seem to meld after a 24 hour rest. I think it tastes way too acidic right after mixing.

Thanks for the recipe,I will give this a go,I have some Horsradish I think.
Thanks Mr Tony,will keep that in mind

My family won't hardly eat chicken without white sauce. We make it most of the time without the horseradish but there really isn't much difference. We prefer an olive oil based mayo for sure. Spatchcock is the best way for sure. A little creole butter infection really sets it off.
Great post. Great looking chicken.

My family won't hardly eat chicken without white sauce. We make it most of the time without the horseradish but there really isn't much difference. We prefer an olive oil based mayo for sure. Spatchcock is the best way for sure. A little creole butter infection really sets it off.
Great post. Great looking chicken.

Are you talking about an extra virgin olive oil based mayo? That's got a whole different flavor from regular mayo (at least, when made from a strong tasting EVOO). It's tremendous as a base for deviled eggs--hadn't thought about it for making Alabama sauce.

That looks fantastic! I have never had the white sauce but am itching to try it.

So whats the best Mayo?
we make ours using condensed milk,mustard and vinegar.
Do I need an egg one?

Back