Insulated cabinet gravity feed build

Holyp

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Amir from Israel here. I've been lurking on the sidelines for a while, absorbing knowledge, and enjoying our shared passion for food.
I've been smoking meat for the last year and a half, which makes me a novice, but I've been rather obsessive about it, read an enormous amount of information, web, utube, books (loved the Franklin book)
I've gone through a long cycle of deciding what my next smoker is going to be.
Even had some correspondence with Tyler from SF (which I may still follow up on one day)

Ended up going for a stumps clone, double pan insulated cabinet gravity feed.
In the end it was the ability to run it unattended that sold me. I enjoy attending the fire, and tweaking the vents or lighting lump or throwing a split but it's a big commitment and a toll on the family so here I am starting something that is meant to be a near fire and forget.

Bought the plans at smoker plans.net, made some orders at various places, and got my box of goodies recently

I posted a request for help in converting the plans to metric in my 4×4 forum and someone made me a good offer to do all the fab work.
I'm finally getting progress pictures and thought I'd share.

The entire frame is insulated with rock wool, for all the other insulation, I got ceramic blankets rated at ridiculous temperatures I hope to never reach

Frame is nearly done, tomorrow he's starting the coal chute and fire chamber

And I feel I must end my first post with a couple of shots of my current smoker in action

Feel free to make comments and suggestions.

Hey good start Amir! Wow, from Israel? That's cool! The Q looks real good too! Good luck with the build. I like building smokers also. This is my latest.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 300
Amir
Congrats on the new smoker looks like your off to a great start.
Jesse

Hi, slow progress but things are moving along.
Nearly finished the cook chamber skin, now working on the coal chute

IMG-20160522-WA0000_zpsjgld9gs5.jpg

IMG-20160522-WA0001_zpshund7rgp.jpg

IMG-20160522-WA0002_zpsr9oulby8.jpg

That's it for progress.
I smoked ducks for the first time, got two fresh birds for a Friday night meal. Read that 300 is the ideal temp, so I got my Smoker to around 270, shoved the birds in and added some splits and went to split some more wood so I'll be able to keep the temp high. Came back to a raging grease fire (gods punishment to those lazy people who don't clean the grease pans)
Overall it came out good, but a bit charred

20160520_203245_zpshzkn7wyu.jpg

Luckily for me I had a big pan filled with veggies to shield most of the fire (other than the slight chair look, they were great after frying in duck fat for hours)

20160520_191559_zpssp1zdejt.jpg

Till next time

Things are moving along.
Firebox and chute ready

Removable fire grate

Heat and smoke transfer tube

Almost time for insulation

I have these exact plans. One thing you may want to consider. On the bottom of the cook chamber, along w/ sloping away from the fire box, you should also slope to the center (from the front and back), so that all the grease pools right over the valve.

Also, this thing is a beast! Heavy as hell. Use solid casters. Just be forewarned.

Your build looks great. I recognize most of your pictures!

Also, I would suggest you put the bottom on and install the casters BEFORE you install the chute and outer walls, because of the weight. Took us a while to do this in the garage, then get it stood back up.

Basically, I've been there. Things look great, and you'll love how it holds temp. I'm very happy with mine, and would really only make small changes... Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck!

Hey Mark, thanks for the advice, great looking cooker. I'd be happy if mine will turn out as nice.
I'm still unsure on the location of the air intake.
The plan has it in the front, Stumps has it on the side door.
It kinda makes more sense to me on the side door, but I think it was moved to the front for a reason
Decisions decisions

Hey Mark, thanks for the advice, great looking cooker. I'd be happy if mine will turn out as nice.
I'm still unsure on the location of the air intake.
The plan has it in the front, Stumps has it on the side door.
It kinda makes more sense to me on the side door, but I think it was moved to the front for a reason
Decisions decisions

I didn't follow the plans there either. Mine is in the ash door.

That's going to be a nice cooker Amir!!

Back