Water pans in big offset?

enasnidx

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm newer to this big rig. I built it last summer but I've only cooked on it once (ribs). It's a reverse flow offset made from an old 275 gal. fuel oil tank. I'm smoking up 16 butts tomorrow and just wondering if you guys would run water pans in it? Since it's a RF so I could set them on a lower rack or right on the baffle plate? I plan to run around 250-275 until them butts are nice and dark and then put them in pans and foil. Thoughts?

I tried water pans on my RK-250 reverse flow pit just one time... and one time only. The pit took forever to come to temp, clean-up was a hassle and with 16 butts you'll have all the moisture you'll need inside the pit.

My advice.... don't bother with it. :cool:

In scenario's like this you will probably get mixed answers which means you have to try it for yourself and see what you like :mrgreen:. I don't do it as I haven't seen a better product in my cooks with water. I also must admit that I haven't tried it extensively to a sample size that is statistically relevant :loco:.

Even Mark's comment is valid, but you could also easily get a response of '"XYZ" doesn't use a water pan and he makes good BBQ'. Franklin's pits are not reverse flow so that is different in this scenario. A lot of times those direct flow cookers are hot closest to the firebox so water can add moisture and also help to even out the cooker.

It's fun to play around and see what you get. So I say definitely give it a whirl and see what you like!

I vote no

While I'm all for experimenting in general a 16 butt cook is not something I do as an experiment. Just my $0.02.

Back