Does anyone know what this is?

Woody309

Reaction score
photo.php

Trying to find out what this is. Several suggestions have been made but nothing really concrete.

Attachments

• image search.jpg
    image search.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 354
It is cast iron. I only have a pic of the item. Looking at the background the squares on checkered table clothes like that are usually a couple of inches or so to a side, so that would show some scale for the size of it.

Last edited:
I was going to say a vegetable roaster or a shellfish roaster thingy.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhzxQCTCI3E"]Nat King Cole - Chestnuts roasting on an open fire - YouTube[/ame]

Blu got me thinking spaetzle press but why would both sides have the holes? Gotta be something else...but what :noidea:

SWAG: A utensil for frying, but frying what, I don't know.

If it were for boiling, it likely wouldn't be cast iron due to its weight. Because it's cast iron, I say it's for deep frying. What I don't know is what might need to be encased like this when it's fried. Most things cooked in deep fat form a crust that holds the item together. What, when placed in deep fat, falls apart but needs to be kept together?

I concur with OSD. It is definitely a chestnut roaster. No doubt about it. You can put this one to bed.

I've never seen a chestnut roaster. Was wondering about a steamer of some kind, but I agree that I don't think it would be CI.

I to would guess chestnut roaster, would be very helpful to know how long the handles are.

Handle length means nothing on these. Same length as a frying pan. This type of roaster was made to set on the coals or on a cooking grate just above the fire. Usually these were used in a fireplace.
They were not the long-handled types that were held in the hand that did not have a cover. That type was mostly used outdoors around a fire, but sometimes in the fireplace.
I remember when I was a young kid(close to 60 yrs ago), my GrandMa had one of these and only used it around the Holidays.

Back