Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

I have taken my large to competitions. It is heavy, but not that hard to get on a trailer. I took 4th out of 85 teams in brisket with it. I don't have the tie down hooks either. I did upgrade to the bigger casters after a couple of years of having it. They are nice.

Did you upgrade to the 8" casters or the off road package? Did that make it so that it will roll on grass?

Making a trip to Willis Saturday to pickup my new Mini on a reversed comp cart. Can't wait to get it home and get it seasoned and start cooking on it. Have and HEB Prime brisket thawed and just waiting for a smoke bath. Hopefully the weather will corporate.

Making a trip to Willis Saturday to pickup my new Mini on a reversed comp cart. Can't wait to get it home and get it seasoned and start cooking on it. Have and HEB Prime brisket thawed and just waiting for a smoke bath. Hopefully the weather will corporate.

Congrats on the new cooker, you're going to love it.
Can't wait to hear about the brisket cook!

I have a couple questions for those of you who revisit this thread. Is this smoker (mini or large) portable enough to use in competitions? I know they are extremely heavy so I was wondering. Also, what is the capacity for the mini and large? Would you recommend the off-road package if needing to roll on grass? Thanks.

I have 100% get the off road if you plan on rolling on grass. I have a patio made of bricks and if I did not have the off road package it would be a nightmare to roll around in my backyard. I'm moving to my new house on saturday and I am 100% thankful that I have the off road or else I would not even be able to roll it on my grass. I have done this many times and unless you put plywood sheets down every time you have to move it, it would be an absolute nightmare. I love my large but it is overwhelming to maneuver and the offroad makes it a breeze!

I did a ton of research recently on the manufactures you mentioned and when I crunched the numbers on cost, cooking space, specs, shipping charges, etc. the LSG 20x42 ended up being the best bang for the buck. Obviously they are all phenomenal cookers but LSG got my vote and that's what I'll be going with.

Night train

After a 350 mile round trip let me introduce the newest member of my smoker arsenal, Night train. It will be my primary smoker for over night cooks. Got to see the prototype of the pellet grill and it will be a fantastic cooker. Chris said they are shooting for March to get it on the market but that all depends on the builder of the PID controller getting it finished. Also saw another little project they are working on for their stick burners that should be well received when it is released. Well on to the pictures. To late to season today so will get that done tomorrow and smoke some sausage and fatties. Brisket will just have to keep wet aging until next week end.

Attachments

• 13410EA7-4FF6-45E3-BB5D-48A249304DE9.jpg
    13410EA7-4FF6-45E3-BB5D-48A249304DE9.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 389
  • 7C1A2BD1-C1EB-418A-A453-AF234C11DD33.jpg
    7C1A2BD1-C1EB-418A-A453-AF234C11DD33.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 381
  • 73D65A67-546B-4652-8ABC-B94D541C1534.jpg
    73D65A67-546B-4652-8ABC-B94D541C1534.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 382
I have the LSG large cabinet and couldn't imagine moving it without the offroad package
f6b94dc9f78b8b3162aad2b21401a5e8.jpg
cd699e4e24f55ed44ff33c29c6da5c9b.jpg
70c2bf8e464b75f7631d011de74622f6.jpg
19be5ad5ac8350ef720ca8830ee4de1f.jpg
2c81592bec2e691f01ac423f8c7aabfe.jpg
1f806c38cee85ed0d2de6ecf1edadb4c.jpg
dd5baf3a010bbb2ac2b58db782fb46a1.jpg
78607af77c9b142a0dffdc757be6002e.jpg
4c57714212a92fd1c66ace2629555a84.jpg
f2aa22b1ff1ff96ac16b2aab2c3c48c5.jpg
2e704c2e5fa468acf98fb058855a0f08.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Same here. Offroad package is a jump in price but boy am I glad I did it. Now I'm looking for a trailer to load it into....

Just received my "Fab start order" today; ordered it almost 3 months ago to the day. I kept it pretty basic - Mini w/ comp cart and heat diverter plate. I have concrete all around my house so the off road package just wasn't necessary. Certainly looking fwd to cooking anything and everything.

Just received my "Fab start order" today; ordered it almost 3 months ago to the day. I kept it pretty basic - Mini w/ comp cart and heat diverter plate. I have concrete all around my house so the off road package just wasn't necessary. Certainly looking fwd to cooking anything and everything.
Congrats! You'll enjoy cooking on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Large IVS on Classifieds

If any of the Brethren are looking for a LSG Large IVS in excellent condition on a Comp Cart, I just listed mine for sale in the Brethren classifieds here:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4280109#post4280109

I would prefer to sell to a brethren, and will wait a few days before going to Facebook or Craigslist.

Thanks! David

The Competition Cart for the Mini

I have ordered the Mini and while it is still in the queue to be built, I was wondering if I should still get the competition cart. I will not be taking the Mini on the road. It will stay on my back porch but it will be moved around on my porch as needed. 10 feet here, 10 feet there maybe once per month. The porch is flagstone.

Either way, I will be getting the 8" wheels. I am not interested in the offroad package. The offroad package is overkill for my needs.

So my question is how easy is the mini to move around with and without the cart on the 8" wheels? If the mini is not too hard to move without the cart then I could take the savings and purchase a better table outside or other Mini features. If I delete the cart then I would certainly get the handle. Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you

I purchased the mini with the comp cart and similar to you, I move it around my patio (concrete) area a couple times a month. Granted it only moves about 10' as well, it certainly feels stable. I would tend to think rolling over flagstone without the cart would feel a bit uneasy. With the comp cart the weight is spread out over a greater area which makes it more stable. I believe you'll use it more and feel better about doing so with the addition of the cart.

I have ordered the Mini and while it is still in the queue to be built, I was wondering if I should still get the competition cart. I will not be taking the Mini on the road. It will stay on my back porch but it will be moved around on my porch as needed. 10 feet here, 10 feet there maybe once per month. The porch is flagstone.

Either way, I will be getting the 8" wheels. I am not interested in the offroad package. The offroad package is overkill for my needs.

So my question is how easy is the mini to move around with and without the cart on the 8" wheels? If the mini is not too hard to move without the cart then I could take the savings and purchase a better table outside or other Mini features. If I delete the cart then I would certainly get the handle. Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you

Congrats to you! I have a little order in the works myself, so unfortunately can't help you. But wanted to say congrats nonetheless always happy to see a fellow LSG owner getting a new toy :)

Learnings so far

4 cooks down and loving the IVS. Couple things learned so far. This might not be true for all but this is what I have observed so far. Also a good amount of this is me just learning how to smoke a darn brisket.

ReUsing left over Kingsford Briquets not a good idea. They don’t burn as well the second go around. Also may have been result of using Guru and Fan.

I have better temp control when regulating temperatures using the valve and top only. Using the GURU and 25CFM fan helped me get to temp quicker but after 5-6 hrs temps tend to climb 20-30 above the set point. Guru shuts off air to the point the IVS drops to 30-40 below set point. Total roller coaster and not worth it for me. Possibly the GURU itself not doing what it needs to with the IVS. Just seams erratic.

Water in the pan produces a ton of steam. Which in turn killed any chance I have at getting a good bark. Ran with no water and had better results.

Stall is a bitch when going low and slow. Cabinet seems to just hold onto moisture. Maybe this is true for all smokers but I dont think the IVS has as much ventilation going across the surface of the meat as say an off set.

Outside temps effect internal temps and ability to cook low and slow. At 100F outside temp you are going to have trouble keeping below 240F. At 70F its like cruise control on this thing. Hardly moved off 225F once dialed in. The inability to keep temps down may have also been the result of running the GURU and Fan on 2 of the prior cooks. But for now I am going with outside temps playing a factor also.

Attachments

• 9C914180-43EA-412F-A337-F68A459E2E95.jpeg
    9C914180-43EA-412F-A337-F68A459E2E95.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 388
Great looking brisket, glad you're enjoying the cooker. I've had mine about 4 years and love it.

Hello,
Due to changing the dynamics (swimming pool) in our backyard my 24" cabinet model has to be sold. Looking to get the mini or the pee wee with more focus on the pee wee. Does anybody have any cooking experience on the pee wee they would like to share? Or has anybody cooked on the pee wee and the mini and care to give me the pros and cons of both. There just aren't many videos online of people cooking on the peewee. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back