THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBQ Bacon

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dean
I have a large amount of Roma tomatoes that are coming close to expiring so it was time to get them ready for some tomato sauce.

Roasted them along with garlic and fresh basil and EVO, crushed black pepper and basil salt.

Tomato-sauce.jpg

Tomato-sauce-1.jpg

Into the oven for about 50 mins.

Tomato-sauce-2.jpg

Once cooled they were bagged and thrown into the freezer ready for our next pasta night.

Looks fantastic.

That's a lot ike a sauce I have been making this summer - roasted halved cherry or grape tomatoes with a little EVOO, S&P, mashed up in a bowl, saute mucho garlic in olive oil and mix together. With that base you can add whatever you like. Recipe calls for oregano, basil and burrata. Fresh and delicious. I added some sauteed chicken the other night, next time shrimp. The recipe is below.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...herry-tomatoes-and-burrata-3364214#reviewsTop

I so love summer's tomato and corn season. It is sadly coming to a close here in a week or two, but man, do I love all that fresh, delicious produce.

BBQ Bacon, how do you use that tomato/garlic/basil mix? Do you blend or mash it up or what? It freezes OK? I might make a big batch in that case.

I so love summer's tomato and corn season. It is sadly coming to a close here in a week or two, but man, do I love all that fresh, delicious produce.

BBQ Bacon, how do you use that tomato/garlic/basil mix? Do you blend or mash it up or what? It freezes OK? I might make a big batch in that case.

It freezes very well and I freeze it in its roasted state. For use, we've done it a couple way. Chopped, heated and tossed with any form of pasta, or thrown into a blender and blended to a finer sauce, or blended and added to ground beef when making a meat sauce for pasta or lasagna.

And as Creek Bottom mentioned, use for bruschetta. Only don't freeze prior to making bruschetta. Just let it cool, chop, add more fresh basil and finely diced onions and viola'

Back