Do you marinade spares?

bshell7

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So quick question to all - Do you marinade your competition spares? If you don't mind sharing if yes, what do you use?

I'm currently using Mojo. Have tried Italian Dressing too...like that better on chicken.

Did some the other day w/o marinade and can't honestly say I could tell a difference.

Really want to keep it simple so I'm wanting to drop this step. Going to do some side by side this weekend and see if I can tell a difference. Will try to take some pics.

^^There ya go. Everyone has different taste, experimentation is the best way to find out what you like/dislike. Most don't marinate spares, but if you like how it turns out, by all means keep it that way. I personally don't think a marinade is needed though.

Marinate longer. If using Mojo add salt.

I did once using Myron's recipe and they were pretty good.

I have never marinated spares, just rub, but marinating them would probly be a worthwhile idea.

You're going to get a lot of people in here that never competed answering this question. You might be better off putting it in the Competition section of the forum.

It's obviously up to you no matter what, but a lot of people are going to miss the, "Competition ribs" part, or just not care about it, and post their backyard answers.

I whip up a batch of marinade fairly often, but I have never marinated ribs before. Now it's on my todo list.

No, but...and I have yet to do them with actual competition spares...

I did experiment with injecting spares and that worked out really well.

Marinade not needed imho, but if you like it go for it nothing wrong with marinading.

That's my gripe with competition Q. Although somewhat dynamic the expectations of comp Q are too rigid for me. If you go against the "rules" your scores may suffer. Serve chicken breast, it's a risk. No sauce, your taking a chance. If good ribs are marinated who cares? It's OK to Brine chicken and inject brisket but not to marinated ribs. These are all similar techniques but not all accepted?

This goes directly against the way of the Shinobi. All practices are accepted. Success is the only goal.

Back