I thought the price was reasonable.

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Our youth group did a pulled pork plate fundraiser this weekend where we sold plates in the parking lot of a local business. We charged $10 for a pulled pork sandwich (5-5 1/2 oz of meat per sammich) Zapp's potato chips, baked beans and a homemade dessert. We sold out but we had a handful of people make the comment that it was "a little expensive". Granted, it was only a handful of people out of hundreds it still bothered me. I don't ever like thinking I/we short changed someone. We had one lady say "Shouldn't the price be around $5-$6. Most fundraisers like this seem to sell at that price." I didn't tell her this but they sold at that price back in the 1980's. But selling a pulled pork plate at $5/plate with sides and expecting to make a decent profit (for fundraising purposes) is far fetched in this day and age.

I'd like some professional opinions on this. Do y'all think $10 was too much?

*We sold out and made over $2,000.

People always complain. No matter what you do they are going to complain. Also you are raising money as a fundraiser. I think it is to be expected that it may be pricier because it is a fundraiser. I am not a caterer or anything like that. No idea if that is too pricey or not but you sold out so that at least says a lot of people felt it was worth it. I wouldn't worry about the complainers. If you do it again and they complain then respond that it is a fundraiser and it meant to help the youth group and that it may be a little pricier so that you can meet fundraising goals. If they don't like it tell them go be dollar menu-aires at McDonalds :)

Out of hundreds you had a few who didn't understnad that what they are paying is a contribution to raising funds and not a meal? That's, what, approximately 1% of the total number who complained? A 99% success rate isn't anything that should bother you. If that's your success rate, it looks like you hit exactly the right price.

That price is very fair. We get $7.00 for just a sandwich here is PA and don't get any complaints. (Except when we run out!)

I did a fundraiser and while a woman did not find the price to be high, she did comment that she thought all the food etc was donated by "somebody" and that all proceeds including overhead was donated since it was a fundraising event

some people have no idea of what goes into something like this

Thanks brethren. I thought it was a reasonable price as well. Especially seeing it was a fundraiser and that it was a pulled pork sandwich with a very healthy serving of meat (5-5 1/2 ounces). Just last weekend a softball team was doing chicken quarter plates (which is far less meat) for $10.

Most school fundraisers that do the cookie dough are minimum $15 dollars to buy something. So when we decided to do PP plates I used a lot of my knowledge I got from this board and came up with $10/plate and felt very comfortable with that. But yes, y'all are right. There will always be complainers even for good causes. Thanks for the responses and Happy Memorial Day!

I'm no pro but have and would pay that price for a fundraiser and good food.

We were in the O'Reilly's parking lot on Mansfield Rd. I should have sent you a PM so you could have come over and hung out by the smoker! We'll be doing one again before the summer is out so I'll let you know. It was some good stuff. We had people coming back and buying more that were total strangers who had nothing to do with the church.

Sandwich alone $6, sides $2 each, desert $3, tea $1.75 = seems about right to me.

We were in the O'Reilly's parking lot on Mansfield Rd. I should have sent you a PM so you could have come over and hung out beside the smoker! We'll be doing one again before the summer is out so I'll let you know. It was some good stuff. We had people coming back and buying more that were total strangers who had nothing to do with the church.

Please do! That's not far from me at all. I'm in Southern Hills. Glad it was a success.

Sandwich with sides and homemade dessert for 10$? They complained it was too much? Around me you'd be lucky to get the sandwich for 10$. Some people just want something for nothing. We'd get 20$ for that around here. Might even offer choice of side not both.

Feel good in what you did. You earn a nice donation for a good cause from a community who mostly enjoyed what you were doing. You can't please all of the people all of the time and I am sure you received a bunch of "atta boy"'s from the people proud of being able to help out.

you can't please everyone. you could give some people food for free and they would still complain about it.

In my neck of the woods, $10 for that was a bargain. I paid $18 for 4 baby back ribs, a plum and some rice yesterday, and no, I didn't complain, because it was a donation. Some folks just seem to need to complain, some seem to live in some imaginary past, where everything was always cheaper.

You did good, and a $2000 benefit is not bad at all.

And yet I would wager that those same people will go to McDee's, Windys, Booger King, etc and pay the current going price of a "meal" (just barely under $10 for pseudo food) and NOT complain about the price to the staff/owner.

:confused:

And yet I would wager that those same people will go to McDee's, Windys, Booger King, etc and pay the current going price of a "meal" (just barely under $10 for pseudo food) and NOT complain about the price to the staff/owner.

:confused:

You right. A "value" meal at most of these places have crept close to $10.

I get $5-$6 for a 4 oz Pulled Pork Sandwich alone. I think that was an excellent deal. Don't mind the whiners.

Exactly, which is why I had this look on my face :)twitch:) when the lady told me she thought the entire plate should have been $5-$6. I thought to myself "Yeah, back in 1985 maybe." :crazy:

Can't please everybody. The fact that you sold out says pricing was fair.

Pretty sure if you lost all of the complainers' business you would have still sold out.

Can't please everybody. The fact that you sold out says pricing was fair.

Pretty sure if you lost all of the complainers' business you would have still sold out.

Oh yeah, no doubt. It just gets in my craw when you bust your butt doing something good and knowing in your mind you're giving a very fair price to have people (even if it's only a few) try to crap on it.

Back