Help and suggestions for sandwiches for 150 kids

CYBERQ

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I just started catering small gatherings and today a friend asked me how much would it cost to make like a deli style sandwiches for 150 junior high students for their 8th grade prom. I would smoke turkey breast and ham and probably put it on small buns. Condiments would be on the side. They are supplying the chips and other things. They only have a $400 budget. What would the best way to go about this and how much would you suggest charging? I appreciate the help in advance.

Hard to say. You need to do some figuring on meat pricing and loss. A 12 lb turkey breast will still be 40% loss from cooking loss and bone. So 7.2 lbs of turkey at .25 lb per sandwich is 28 sandwiches.

Do you have a slicer? If you don't than making deli style sandwiches is out the window and you may be better off with pulled chicken or cubed chicken breast. Make something like the Subway chicken breast sandwich or a chicken salad.

As for price you need to hit them for the whole budget. Its not even 3$ a head.

Are look trying to help the school out of make a profit? If you figure up all of your food expense to make these sandwiches including condiments (every detail) then multiply that x 3 and divide the total by the head count that will get you in the ball park of what to normally charge per person. You can discount from there as much as you would like to help the kids.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I just started catering small gatherings and today a friend asked me how much would it cost to make like a deli style sandwiches for 150 junior high students for their 8th grade prom. I would smoke turkey breast and ham and probably put it on small buns. Condiments would be on the side. They are supplying the chips and other things. They only have a $400 budget. What would the best way to go about this and how much would you suggest charging? I appreciate the help in advance.

Looks like they've already told you what you can charge or at least the max. Just doing simple math at $400 for 150 students that's $2.67/person. I'm no caterer but I'm not sure doing this is going to bring much of a profit.

Last edited:
Have them call Jimmy Johns for a party platter.

$5 foot longs cut into 4 pieces ,,, not much of a budget for that many mouths to do on your own.

Okay guys, these are some great responses. I really appreciate everything and for taking your time to respond. This helped me think of some things!!

Back