First time, whole chickens on PBC

cr8thegr8

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Just had my first experience on the Pit Barrel Cooker last night, it went great!

I need to get my hot coal pouring technique from the chimney to the barrel a little more fine tuned but apart from that, no hiccups what so ever.

Used one chunk of cherry wood, added a great flavor.

The skin wasn't very crisp at all, I tend to like some crisp so next time I will try to get a little higher heat.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the PBC and look forward to many more cooks to come!

Took a little over 2 hours and out came juicy, finger lickin chicken.

Enjoy the pics!

74287827_l.jpeg

946b701f_l.jpeg

eacc05da_l.jpeg

WywrgEw.jpg

d15628ab_l.jpeg

For crispier skin, open the lid a bit towards the end of cook to bring the temp up. Or drop them skin side down on a hot grill before serving. I do either one depending on if I have an extra grill going cooking something else.

Looks like you did great on your first run!
I usually pour the hot coals in the coal basket outside the PBC them use a leather grill glove (welders glove will work too) and quickly place the coal basket into the PBC.

Great work! Love smoking chicken, delicious off the smoker and cold out of the fridge for a midnight snack later haha

Mighty fine looking grub my friend. Congratulations on the new PBC, you will love it. Again, great job:thumb::thumb:

Wow, thanks everyone for the great feedback. I'm looking forward to trying the lid crack method as well as lighting my coals outside the PBC next time. Also going to try that mayo rub and see how that goes.

Again, thanks everyone for the responses and help! Now I just have to decide what to cook next :roll:

Back