Using cast iron on Weber kettle?

STLBBQer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Looking to use some heavy cast iron pieces that weigh 20 lbs empty on my Weber Kettle. Anyone know if the grate will support that kind of weight?

From time to time use, yes, it does fine. Regularly doing so will cause the grates to sag in the middle

Okay great, wouldn't be more than a 1-2 times per month most likely.

Last edited:
I just got a lodge last week at academy for $14. I got it with the weber in mind as well. So far I've been seasoning it nightly on the weber.

Quick pic of 20" Lodge loop handle skillet on 26" Weber...picked it up years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 129
I've done it with the stock grate without any issues, but the 1 time I made chili in a dutch oven with the gourmet grate it warped and dropped in the middle and never was the same. Seems counter intuitive since the gourmet grate is thicker and is made to hold that Cast Iron Wok, but I just don't think the 2 piece design is as structurally sound.

The good news is I had just bought the grate, and Weber replaced it with no issues whatsoever.

I do stuff like this pretty often, with no ill effects....
(sitting up on firebrick to account for the legs of the pot)

Carolynsdresserproject066.jpg

Smaller D. O.

Carolynsdresserproject071.jpg

Smaller still but with firebrick.....

Pie3044.jpg

Seems like the big flat one like mwmac's would spread the weight over a large area & be just fine.....?

Back