THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dinosdeuce

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
The only thing I have never smoked before was in a masterbuilt electric smoker. Today was my first smoke using charcoal and hickory chunks. Results were not so good. Could have been my choice in meat, wrong cut. I don’t know. I have a lot to learn that’s for sure. Will do more reading on here for the next smoke.
Details:
Beautiful day, temp hit 60f with no wind (unusual for here)
2 Pork sirloins 5.4lbs and 6.8lbs
Rubbed with a Memphis style rub
Put water in pan directly on diffuser.
1 16.6lb bag of Kingsford charcoal with hickory chunks buried
Closed down the vents and left them there
Smoked 9 1/2 hrs with average temp of 225F charcoal started dying at the 9 hr mark
Temperature probe in the bigger sirloin and it never got above 158F
Hit 151F at the 6 hour mark
Charcoal started dying at the 9 hour mark.
Meat was tough and dry.

Pics: Rubbed, end of cook, resting on counter, dry meat

Attachments

• Sirloin Roast 5.4lbs rubbed.jpg
    Sirloin Roast 5.4lbs rubbed.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 219
  • Sirloin Roast 6.8lb rubbed.jpg
    Sirloin Roast 6.8lb rubbed.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 216
  • out of smoker.jpg
    out of smoker.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 217
  • before cuting.jpg
    before cuting.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 216
  • Dry.jpg
    Dry.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 216
I'm not sure on that cut but Pork Shoulder Butts and Picnic go 190-200* ish IT till probe tender or bone wiggles easy - Brisket till Probe tender in 190-210* IT range

try a. Butt or Picnic and run smoker 250-275* -should 8-10 hr cook-- make ur Basket where you can add Charcoal or Chunks during cook.

I cut my basket so I can add when needed......
null_zpsc1e44529.jpg

null_zpsfa346e09.jpg

So they are saying it was overcooked - need to treat it like a pork loin. I'd of done same ad you Dino........:twitch: new or unfamiliar cuts are tricky......:wink: You can always ask for tips before a cook :heh: ..... Don't worry about it - I've jacked up plenty of Meat myself .

Yep, treat them like a pork loin. They are very lean, and do great cooked to 140, then rested for 30 min before slicing and serving. I have a 3 lb pork sirloin in the fridge for tomorrow's dinner.

Glad I read this thread... I wasn't sure what a pork sirloin was either but I'll have to check it out now.

looks good other than a little dry, hey you tried, it did not work out as planned, you know for next time to try something else, lord knows I have choked down my fair share of sub par cooks just because I hate to waste, the dog it usually happy when I screw something up though. get another cut and try again, it is a slow learning process.

Thanks

All,

Thanks for the inputs. I figure the learning curve to be a little steep at first. It is great to have this forum. You all offer a lot of help to people and it is nice to be a part of this slippery slope.

@ SmittyJonz, It is funny you posted your mod. I was thinking last night how I could add charcoal and there you are giving me more advice. Gotta love it.

Thanks again

Thanks to all our veterans :clap2: Earlier, I toasted past, present and future.

Dino
USAF retired
1980 - 2004
Enlisted of course :cool:

Last edited:
:thumb: yup get a Pork Butt or a Picnic and try again at 250-275* for 7-9 hrs ( until bone wiggles or probes tender all over ) plus a short rest.......they are the easiest :biggrin1:

I like this Rub for Pork: ( of course there are plenty of Good Rubs but many are mail order and this one can be had at Walmart, Krogers, HEB etc .)

null_zps948f7a17.jpg

And I expect you will post this next time: (I pull mine just a wee bit early cuz I prefer chopped vs pulled)

null_zpsa7768ec0.jpg

Back