Scared to Death

jdolor

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Almost.

I've been stalking here a while. My apologies. I've learned a ton, so thank you.

I just entered my first competition (Chesapeake Jubilee in VA) and I'm freaking out. I've been cooking decent BBQ for a while on everything cheap you can imagine. I currently have a 22.5 WSM and a Yoder YS640 competition cart.

I've got a good handle on how to cook and I've read the rules so many times, why am I having all this stress? It's supposed to be fun, right?

Sorry to vent. I just want to make sure I don't go away from the competition discouraged.

Any words of wisdom for a rookie?

Maybe I should just keep making beer. (iWork for Dogfish Head)

Jon

Good luck, friend! Just enjoy the competition, make friends, and have fun. Bring alot of beer to share. I heard it's good social capital. :)

Relax, have one of those tasty Dogfish Head's (or 3).

Just concentrate on hitting your turn in times and do what you know.

People are incredibly helpful at BBQ comps and will help you out if you have questions or need something you may have forgotten.

Take a look at BBQ Critic.com to get an idea of what a good & bad box looks like.

and last but not least...HAVE FUN!!!!

Good luck and don't worry man, it's just BBQ :thumb:

Have fun and talk to people. Ask questions. Most everyone is willing to give advice/help. Have fun. Did I say have fun?

Go in with the right mindset and you will be fine. Meaning, don't expect to take home the GC. That puts way to much unnecessary pressure on yourself. Go to have fun, learn, meet new people and have a good time. Most likely something won't turn out like you planned or practiced, don't let that spoil your experience. If it wasn't fun teams wouldn't spend ~$1k+ to do this on the weekend. Those who don't should be golfing or fishing. Just my two cents...

Bringing beer won't be a problem. If any of you are coming, look me up. Half of my wardrobe is Dogfish so I won't be hard to find.

Beers are on me!

I know when it's all said and done, I'll have had a great time. I just worry about making some kind of major mistake.

I know when it's all said and done, I'll have had a great time. I just worry about making some kind of major mistake.

Never done a comp myself and no interest to; however if there's one thing I've learned your better off just going out and trying and if you fail try again rather then letting the fear of failure or making mistakes control you.

Well, the beauty is, even if you really screw up the cook...

1. Nobody should die, there is always a chance, but highly unlikely
2. War will not break out. I assume you are not competing in Texas
3. Nobody is watching, all else fails, start slinging beer, you'll at least be popular
4. You'll learn something new, I know, it hurts, you'll get over it

Mistakes can and will happen, no matter who you are. Take it in stride and learn from it. Write stuff down and check it off as you go. Don't sweat it, its only bbq.

"3. Nobody is watching, all else fails, start slinging beer, you'll at least be popular"

All I could ever ask for.
:-D

Good luck at the comp! Now if i could only find some 120 min ipa in southern Jersey:wink:

"Good luck at the comp! Now if i could only find some 120 min ipa in southern Jersey"

You're just a short ferry ride away.

"Good luck at the comp! Now if i could only find some 120 min ipa in southern Jersey"

You're just a short ferry ride away.

I have been wanting to tour the brewery for a while, have to make that happen this summer.

I'm doing a brew on Saturday at my house using some experimental hops.I'm also doing yet another practice comp. cook starting tomorrow night. It's going to be a busy couple of days.

I just did my first last month, it was awsome. I was nervous as hell also. Worried bout everything. Just go there with three goals, have fun, make friends, and learn 1 thing new. It will be ok. Hell we actually did awsome in my opinion. 20th out of 41 teams.

Back