Orange wood?

biggs98

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Looking at a site for wood chunks/chips and they had Orange wood. I've never seen this before. Anyone use orange wood. How is it and what is it like?? TIA

I've been using orange wood when doing chicken and turkey. I usually stuff the cavity with at least one orange and lemon, and an onion. I zest the orange and add it to some butter with lemon pepper and put under the skin. The orange adds a sweeter smoke than hickory or alder and more matches the flavor profile of some others. Try it on a chicken. I like it!

I use orange and other citrus wood chunks (tangerine, lemon, lime, and grapefruit) when cooking chicken and game birds. I've used it on pork loin as well with great results. My brother brings me a load of assorted woods from Florida when he comes to visit every spring.

The smoke is stronger than fruit woods such as apple or cherry, but imparts a nice smoke flavor.

Like Mammoth Mountain says, Bass Pro Shops sells Orange Wood Chunks.

I cut down two orange trees a few years ago and saved the wood to cook with. I can't say it was my favorite. OK, but not great IMHO.

Thx, I'm definitely going to try it out. I'm thinking it'll be a nice touch on Ribs

Thx, I'm definitely going to try it out. I'm thinking it'll be a nice touch on Ribs

Keep us up to date with your cook.

Also keep in mind that like anything else, too much of a good thing (Orange Wood) can be over-powering if you have too much of it. If you use a Humphrey's, five or six chunks will produce great flavor. You can always add more to the next cook if the smoke was too mild.

Back