Brethren, tell me about Knoxville, TN

Kyle Hasty

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi guys, in the morning I'm headed from Tulsa to Knoxville, TN for this weekends OU vs Tennessee game. Just wanted to see if anyone had any info on BBQ joints, tailgating, things to do or see while we are there. Would also like to see any Brethren that may be at the game tailgating. Love this stuff and thankfully football is here. Thanks for any info, I appreciate it.

Don't eat BBQ at any place you have heard of they all suck. Ask the locals where they eat. I used to stop at a place down the street past Graceland on the right side of the street not far from where the Lisa Marie is parked. Cant remember the name but it was pretty good for Ribs & PP. They use to deliver to Elvis back in the day. There was another place way out on HWY 78 on the right as you head toward Ms next to a gas station before the Piolt Truck stop that had good pulled pork & sides,IIRc it was one of the Nealy crew( distant cousin) that owns it. Catch some good Blues on Beal St & put your wallet in your shoe fer safe keepin there is Pick pockets about down there.

EDIT: Opps my bad I read Memphis:oops: Must have been that Miller LIte beer the neighbor left here

Last edited:
There is some great tailgating that goes on around Neyland stadium. However they might not like you much if you show up with OU colors. Vols fans are a rude and sometimes hostile bunch. Wear you some deer hunter orange with some big T's and you will be ok. :becky:
As far as BBQ goes Knoxville is quite different than what you will find in your neck of the woods. Calhoun's BBQ is probably the best and they have several locations. The closest one to the stadium is on Kingston Pike. I'm not recommending the joint but they do have their version of BBQ. Lots to see and do in Sevierville and Pigeon Forge which is only about 15-20 miles away. If you go over there you should eat at The Old Mill. Best breakfast on the planet.

Don't eat BBQ at any place you have heard of they suck. Ask the locals where they eat. I used to stop at a place down the street past Graceland on the right side of the street not far from where the Lisa Marie is parked. Cant remember the name but it was pretty good. They use to deliver to Elvis back in the day. Catch some good Blues on Beal St.& put your wallet in your shoe fer safe keepin there is PIck pockets about down there.
Knoxville is on the opposite end of the state. About 375 miles east of Graceland and Beal.

My daughter spent 2 years there doing post-graduate work at the university. She said the best BBQ was ribs & pulled pork at shacks - places along the major streets/roads. Not much beef.

She got married there & had a catered wedding reception. I can tell you I have never had better fried chicken, fried okra & biscuits in my life. Also a jazz band that would get you going so hard that you were at risk of breaking a leg.

So... we never ate any BBQ while there. Was kinda bummed about that. Some of the family did go to a BBQ place that was on the river downtown.. Can't remember the name of it. Noone was raving about the Q, though.

Last edited:
It's not BBQ but do not miss Ye Olde Steakhouse.

^^This is spot on advice. I personally wouldn't bother with BBQ in Knoxville. However,Ye Olde lives up to the hype.

As a Vol fan, I recommend that you go to the Strip pregame and find some other OU fans at a restaurant/bar (many to choose from) and hang out there. I promise we aren't all inbred hillbillys. Although be prepared to get REALLY tired of hearing Rocky Top!

Go big orange!

There is some great tailgating that goes on around Neyland stadium. However they might not like you much if you show up with OU colors. Vols fans are a rude and sometimes hostile bunch. Wear you some deer hunter orange with some big T's and you will be ok. :becky:

Keepin it classy, Vols.

Don't eat BBQ at any place you have heard of they all suck. Ask the locals where they eat. I used to stop at a place down the street past Graceland on the right side of the street not far from where the Lisa Marie is parked. Cant remember the name but it was pretty good for Ribs & PP. They use to deliver to Elvis back in the day. There was another place way out on HWY 78 on the right as you head toward Ms next to a gas station before the Piolt Truck stop that had good pulled pork & sides,IIRc it was one of the Nealy crew( distant cousin) that owns it. Catch some good Blues on Beal St & put your wallet in your shoe fer safe keepin there is Pick pockets about down there.

EDIT: Opps my bad I read Memphis:oops: Must have been that Miller LIte beer the neighbor left here

The place you're thinking of is called Marlow's. If you do stop in Memphis, try something different like the Cornish hens at Cozy Corner.

If you can, eat at Peg Leg Porker on your way through Nashville.

Get the pulled pork sandwich with slaw and a side of beans.

Smoke Shack BBQ in Morgan, AR on I-40 is pretty good cue with a bit of a Western NC influence. In the Little Rock area one of the Whole Hog Cafes is a good choice. Further to the East in De Valls Bluff is Craig's BBQ. Craig's is one of my favorites and doesn't fit any of the usual BBQ regional norms.

So, Kyle Hasty, what did you think of the little mountain town of Knoxville, TN? I'm guessing your trip home was buoyed by your Sooners' win. Did you try any Q along the way?

Back