BBQ Concession Trailers

sleepsafe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been considering taking a jump into trying to make a little money with this BBQ thing. Not ready to open a restaurant, but having a trailer I can vend from is an attractive idea. I really don't have any idea other than a Google search where to look for equipped trailers. So, if anyone has experience or knowledge of someone who puts together a good concession trailer for BBQ I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.

im questioning this too....but my concern is....what do u do as far as filling and dumping water and wastewater tanks etc?

If you would be interested in used this site can have some good deals from time to time.

LINK

I've been considering taking a jump into trying to make a little money with this BBQ thing. Not ready to open a restaurant, but having a trailer I can vend from is an attractive idea. I really don't have any idea other than a Google search where to look for equipped trailers. So, if anyone has experience or knowledge of someone who puts together a good concession trailer for BBQ I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.

A couple dealers in GA that have done rigs for BBQ comps teams/caterers

http://www.freedomtrailers.com/

http://www.midstaterv.com/index.php/sales

We fill our water tanks via the city water. A lot of RV dealers will let you fill your tanks for a fee and many campgrounds will let you dump your grey water for a fee.depending on your area, food truck comeserries always have these services.

Here in La, the health department passed a law that you have to have a commissary in order to get a license. It almost costs the same as a brick and mortar building. Make sure that you get one with a steel frame. It's just more durable.

In CA, you have to keep the rig & use a commissary, no exceptions, and the costs range from $900-$1000 a month. Thats a lot of work you have to do just to have a trailer or truck

Ultimately you are talking at least a $15k investment. Really more like a $30-$45k investment. If you want to do it then go for it. It's very rewarding to build a successful barbecue business. If you are thinking about a weekend gig then stay out of it. You'd be better off in the long run. Even a weekend gig is 40 hours a week. I'd be happy to give you all the advise I can if you still want to go for it.

Ultimately you are talking at least a $15k investment. Really more like a $30-$45k investment. If you want to do it then go for it. It's very rewarding to build a successful barbecue business. If you are thinking about a weekend gig then stay out of it. You'd be better off in the long run. Even a weekend gig is 40 hours a week. I'd be happy to give you all the advise I can if you still want to go for it.

I 2nd HBMTN's post. There really is no "part-time weekend BBQ business" any more due to the regulations and compliance requirements. There are weekend BBQ hobbies still. But to actually run a viable profitable BBQ business requires some sizeable capital outlay and volume sales. So just be aware of what it is up front. I have seen many folks jump in thinking they can make money off of weekend gigs and end up continuously pumping capital in to stay afloat.

We have just got ours going. Just to give you an idea, or total investment in equipment and other fees has been right at $30K. However we bought all of our stuff over the last 4-5 months and we have not had to borrow any money and do not plan to. I would not advise anyone trying this if you have to get a loan to do it.

However, keep in mind that even Franklin started with just one brisket on a Saturday served out of his little camper. Don't let anyone tell you that you cant make a good profit on a weekend only basis. That's just not true. Its a lot of work, but it can be done.

Yes I'm still interested. I can foot the up front costs within reason. I've been doing a job in the medical profession for 30+ years. And I still hate being on call. I would ease into it as I plan retirement, but I gotta have something to do. Retirement isn't for me. I gotta be busy. PM me if you'd like. I want all the info I can get.

We have just got ours going. Just to give you an idea, or total investment in equipment and other fees has been right at $30K. However we bought all of our stuff over the last 4-5 months and we have not had to borrow any money and do not plan to. I would not advise anyone trying this if you have to get a loan to do it.

However, keep in mind that even Franklin started with just one brisket on a Saturday served out of his little camper. Don't let anyone tell you that you cant make a good profit on a weekend only basis. That's just not true. Its a lot of work, but it can be done.

This is exactly how we made our jump into it and I think the total startup cost is right around $30k as well.

Whoa, just the trailer and generator I'm looking at is almost $30K. I'm going to be closer to $50K by the time everything is done. How are you guys doing it for $30K

Whoa, just the trailer and generator I'm looking at is almost $30K. I'm going to be closer to $50K by the time everything is done. How are you guys doing it for $30K

Sounds fun! Do you have a big restaurant smoker on there, Old Hickory, etc.?

Our rig was about 20k with no appliances. We are over 32k now and it works awesome. Fees and laws really become discouraging but still we can do ok if we stay busy. Mostly doing fairs and festivals. We haven't tried to street vend yet.
We had ours built at SDG trailers in Georgia. One piece roof, extra heavy frame, radials, led lights are a few reasons we went with them.

Back