Timing Guidance?

str8upcop04

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So brethren a friend of mine volunteered me to do 40lbs of pulled pork and a chit ton of ABT's my question to you is having only a WSM 18.5 what time should I get these things started for a 3:00PM party time on Saturday? I figure I can easily get the 4 butts on.....

I figured I'd start the fire at 10PM Friday night and then throw the ABT's on after the pork is wrapped and resting at hopefully @ 11 or 12 on Saturday morning.

I'm smoking @225-250F....think this is sufficient enough time? Thanks in advance!

-Justin

So you're cooking four 10 lb butts? At 225 you're looking at about 1.5 hours per pound. at 250 it will be about 1.25 hours per pound. You'll need to keep the temp at 250 or higher to meet that timeline.

BTW, is your buddy expecting 40 lbs of cooked pork? If so, you need to cook 80 lbs raw weight.

Ron L he's expecting to feed 50+people...adults & kids. I told him 40lbs would most likely do it (4-10lb butts)...he doesn't quite know what to expect nor do I as I'm more of a backyard cook for a handful of people. I can start anytime after 5Pm Friday so with your guidelines I'll probably start earlier. Can the butts rest in a cooler for a couple hours without drying out? Thanks for your wisdom.

Large cuts of meat like butts can be rested wrapped in foil for several hours in a cooler. Make sure you wrap them in towels and be careful. They will still burn your hands. I would cook them at 275 minimum. If they are done early it's no big deal. If they are done late it will ruin your day.

I'd add 15 min to Ron L's time line your meat load will slow you down until your Temps get into the 150's 40 lbs of cold Butt will take some BTU's in the beginning.

I'd add 15 min to Ron L's time line your meat load will slow you down until your Temps get into the 150's 40 lbs of cold Butt will take some BTU's in the beginning.

Good point!

Ron L he's expecting to feed 50+people...adults & kids. I told him 40lbs would most likely do it (4-10lb butts)...he doesn't quite know what to expect nor do I as I'm more of a backyard cook for a handful of people. I can start anytime after 5Pm Friday so with your guidelines I'll probably start earlier. Can the butts rest in a cooler for a couple hours without drying out? Thanks for your wisdom.

Is the pork the only meat? If so, I'd plan on 1/3 lb per serving, so for 40 lbs raw you'll get 20 lbs cooked, which will give you 60 servings. That's probably OK, but could be tight depend on how many over 50 people and the ratio of adults to kids.

If there is another meat then 1/4 lb servings are fine and you'll have enough for 80 servings, which should be plenty.

Thanks guys, you are far too kind for the help as usual. There will burgers and dogs for the non pork eaters whoever that might be...not this guy. Also was I to add 15min per lb cook time? Thanks again.

-Justin

I did a butt once that I only wrapped in foil and a towel, drove 2-1/2 hours to my brother's place. I thought I would be able to pull it with my fingers. That sucker was still so hot it burned my fingers!:laugh: Would probably been good for a couple more hours.

Depending on the size of your cooler and how much meat is in it, you can go a *long* time.

I've burned my hands on pork after 10 hours in the cooler. The cooler was mostly full of meat, with a towel on the bottom and one on the top.

I've fed that many people time & again with less pork, but there were a lot of sides.....

Burger & dogs takes some out of the equation, as does a "chit ton of ABT's"

Any sides added in help & if they're put up as sammies, people eat a little less overall.............

BluDawg's accurate in that it's an uphill climb at the start for that much going on at once.....suggestion might be to start hot (300, or more) to account for some of that......I usually do singles on kettles & the general timing might be: on @ 10:30 PM, run @ 260~275, off @ 9:30 AM or a little after, foil & towel wrap / cooler, serve @ 2~3 PM......I've gone 7 hours holding several times before, not planned but it happened & the stuff was still plenty hot, like 150f or so......at 2 hours hold, you'll fry your fingers if it's wrapped well.........

Are you cooking & holding 'Turds?
That's a little tricky as they can get a bit mushy from steaming in pans for too long.......I worry about my 'Turds.....a lot.....so think that through, also............

We did a smoke with 15, 10-12lb pork butts and wrapped them at 0400 and they stayed hot until 1100-1200 when we pulled them. Put them in the cooler and don't look at them. They will keep. Being done earlier is better gives you time to do the ABTs.

1buckle, once the pork comes off the turds go on @noonish for 3 o'clock serve, thanks guys!

I did four butts this last weekend, about 35# of pork, on my 22.5 WSM. I woke up at 6, butts on by 7 at 280*ish, wrapped in a pan at 12, done and off the smoker at 4 pm. So, based off that, it took about 9 hours cook time. You should be able to adjust your timeline accordingly.

250-275F, just as I spoke it hit at 167, over it now, butts at 174 8 1/2hrs in....

Back