Kamado Temperature and Grid Size Question

kamadoshopper

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I've been to two different BGE dealers and both talked about the external temperature of the other kamados compared to the egg. I kind of find of find it hard to believe the numbers. One said it was dome temps but the paper the second dealer gave me says bottom tested. Paper says tested at 750 degrees after 30 minutes. BGE external temp 239 degrees the primo 430 degrees, kamado pro 456 degreed, and Kamado Joe 542 degrees interior red after opening those numbers seem insane to me especially if the domes are anywhere near that. For the people that have used the different kamados have you noticed the heat difference? I was seriously thinking of a Kamado Joe, but seeing the temperature differences has me second guessing.

Next question. It's just my wife and myself we have birthday parties here 3 or 4 times a year about 10 people. So I am not cooking for a lot of people. Do you guys think a xl egg or a big Joe would be an overkill? I want something I can do ribs and brisket on, or if I want to put a pan on with other stuff on the grill. A couple people I know have large eggs and they love them. I don't think they really do ribs or brisket. They do more high temperature cooks. Will ribs or brisket fit very easy on a large?

I agree. I can touch the out side of the egg.
Hard to say on the size.
You could double the racks on
A large egg and feed quite a few.
I've cooked a brisket a prime rib and a turkey at the same time.

The ceramic is not an insulator. It heats up and acts as a heat sink. That one of the reasons that the various kamado brands hold temp so well. It will be hotter at the base where the fire is, but eventually the outside of the dome will be pretty close to the inside of the dome.

As far as size, for day-to-day use with just two of you a large is fine. With multi-layered grates like the ones available from http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ you can do several racks of ribs or three or four butts or even two briskets. The advantage of the XL is when you are grilling larger amounts.

But, I always think you should get the biggest that you can afford. You'll find a use for the space.

The ceramic is not an insulator. It heats up and acts as a heat sink. That one of the reasons that the various kamado brands hold temp so well. It will be hotter at the base where the fire is, but eventually the outside of the dome will be pretty close to the inside of the dome.

As far as size, for day-to-day use with just two of you a large is fine. With multi-layered grates like the ones available from http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ you can do several racks of ribs or three or four butts or even two briskets. The advantage of the XL is when you are grilling larger amounts.

But, I always think you should get the biggest that you can afford. You'll find a use for the space.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the replies. So in your opinion would those numbers be meaningless?

Is there a reason you are interested in the outside temp? Each manufacture uses different mix of materials for their products. Like mentioned, the heat transfer will be different on each size and brand. Also for how long you have the cook going. If you want a cooler outside temp, look at the Acorn. The outside stays much cooler even at the high temp cooks. And is much more mobile for when required. Depends on your requirements.

Is there a reason you are interested in the outside temp? Each manufacture uses different mix of materials for their products. Like mentioned, the heat transfer will be different on each size and brand. Also for how long you have the cook going. If you want a cooler outside temp, look at the Acorn. The outside stays much cooler even at the high temp cooks. And is much more mobile for when required. Depends on your requirements.

Well according to the salesman the heat difference shows the amount of heat being lost thru the cooker. Also, according to them that means less moist meats.

For me personally I was thinking more of kids. While 239 degrees is a lot 542 degrees is a lot more. Granted 750 degrees at 30 minutes seems like a long time.

Any Komado cooker will keep plenty of moisture. I don't think you should be concerned with temp transfer, all ceramics will eventually have somewhat close to the same outside temp as inside. With kids being around and you worried about the outer surface temp, I'd suggest the Acorn ( or 2 for those times you want to cook alot) The main grate is 19 3/4 with an upper swing rack that together will hold/cook alot. Depending on where and when you shop for an Acorn, the prices typically are $259 to $329. The Acorn typically uses less fuel than ceramics.
Komado Guru site has alot of info on all the models. If your interested. Just know there are alot of folks there very passionate about their brand and believe there way is the only way. Alot of members here are members there.

Any Komado cooker will keep plenty of moisture. I don't think you should be concerned with temp transfer, all ceramics will eventually have somewhat close to the same outside temp as inside. With kids being around and you worried about the outer surface temp, I'd suggest the Acorn ( or 2 for those times you want to cook alot) The main grate is 19 3/4 with an upper swing rack that together will hold/cook alot. Depending on where and when you shop for an Acorn, the prices typically are $259 to $329. The Acorn typically uses less fuel than ceramics.
Komado Guru site has alot of info on all the models. If your interested. Just know there are alot of folks there very passionate about their brand and believe there way is the only way. Alot of members here are members there.

Thanks ebijack! I was sure if it would effect the quality of the food or not.

I have a kamado joe and I have never measured the outside temp. I can tell you it gets hot but not so hot that I can't touch it. I have never been burned by it, even when cooking pizzas at 600-650f.

I also have a Kamado Joe- the outside does get hot, but not hot enough to melt your skin, just hot enough to make you move! I'd agree with get what size you can afford- I have an 18 which is great, but there have been a couple times a Big Joe would have been nice - but.....I really enjoy my KJ!

I also have a Kamado Joe- the outside does get hot, but not hot enough to melt your skin, just hot enough to make you move! I'd agree with get what size you can afford- I have an 18 which is great, but there have been a couple times a Big Joe would have been nice - but.....I really enjoy my KJ!

Haha yeah I am not trying to melt my skin off. The multiple configurations that you can do on the kamado joes seem pretty awesome. The only thing bad about the big Joe is its as expensive or more expensive than the xl BGE.

I got a Big Joe last May and it is only me and my wife. I love it and would not want a smaller grill. I have had cooks with 3 racks of ribs that cover the grate and still have room for 4 -5 ears of corps. Get the biggest one you pcan afford and start grillin!

Back