New Smoker

bryantgish

I am planning on buying a new smoker for the back yard. I want a smoker only that's easy use. I'm looking for some input on what is the best smoker out there. Thanks for your input.

You have a lot of options for that capacity and price. On the pellet side I'd look at a Yoder 640 or Rectec 680. Both are heavy duty options and extremely easy to use. I'll let others comment on the best charcoal options. I will say, I have a Kamado Joe in addition to the Rectec and while the KJ is quite easy to use the pellet grill is materially easier. The KJ requires a certain amount of cleanup/prep etc that doesn't exist on the Rectec.

Humphrey's Pint. (or Battle Box).

Head over to St Louis BBQ Store.......I'd go Monday......... :heh:

http://www.stlbbqstore.com/

http://www.stlbbqstore.com/whats-in-stock/

http://www.stlbbqstore.com/humphreys-pint/

What's In Stock

Humphrey's Smokers

3 - Weebles

9 - Battle Boxes with Drop-In Water Pan / Removeable Heat Diverter

2 - Battle Boxes with Slide-Out Water Pan / Fixed Heat Diverter

5 - Pints with Drop-In Water Pan / Removeable Heat Diverter

3 - Pints with Slide-Out Water Pan / Fixed Heat Diverter

2 - Down East Beasts with Drop-In Water Pan / Removeable Heat Diverter

2 - Down East Beasts with Slide-Out Water Pan / Fixed Heat Diverter

I'm checking out the yoder and the humpreys. Is there much of a difference in flavor between charcoal with wood chunks and pellets?

I often see friends looking for a new smoker but look at only the price. Afterwards, some were happy with their choices, some not so satisfied but have accepted their choice.

Let me start by saying, "do not buy a specific pit just because someone else has the same cooker and they like it." Consider this as only a recommendation, not as a reason to purchase..

You have to find what smoker best fits your needs.

1) First let us consider size.... Basically a two-fold question because it involves overall size as well as the inside capacity.

Are you looking for a large tow behind smoker or a patio model? With smokers as well as many other choices, size is important, but bigger isn't always better. Larger smokers have more fuel consumption and may require more time tending them. One should never consider a larger smoker just to show off. Practicality should always be the first and foremost thought in this equation.

For backyard use, one typically looks for a smaller patio model. Some competitors also use smaller models in smaller competitions for the ease of portability and mobility. Other competitors have much larger cookers because they also sell to the public which is allowed at some national competitions as a means of selecting the "People Choice" award. At National Competitions like the "Best of the West Nugget Ribs Cook-off" in Reno, Nevada it is common for some of the competitors to cook over 1500 pounds of ribs per day. If you are looking to compete start with something small and you can always move to larger units as you progress.

Wood Burners, Pellet Smokers, Charcoal Smokers, and Propane units all come in patio sized models. But will the patio sized model hold the capacity you are looking to cook. This brings up the issue of Horizontal vs Vertical models. Some horizontal models can be fitted with a second smaller shelf to allow a little more cooking space, where as the vertical model come in varying heights to allow more shelves for more cooking area.

2) Second item to consider in choosing a smoker is the type of fuel you wish to use; Wood, Charcoal, Pellets, Propane Assist, All Electric, or All Gas. The obviously simple set and forget smokers would be Electric, Gas, or Pellet smokers. With electric and propane smokers you only have to be concerned with an ample amount of wood chips / chunks for smoke flavoring. With the pellet smokers, some owners say there isn't enough smoke flavor, but I have had food from a pellet smoker with great flavor. Also on long cooks when using the pellet, one has to refill the pellet hopper to keep the unit going.

If you are considering a wood burner consider your available fuel supply. Are you going to have to buy a lot of wood and are you willing to stay up all night tending a fire? This is not meant to discourage you from a wood burner, but to simply find your level of commitment to your smoker. Many people who use them enjoy the solitude of having a beer and a cigar as they relax in the quiet hours tending the smoker while the others sleep.

If you are considering a charcoal smoker I would suggest an insulated charcoal smoker. An uninsulated smoker burns fuel at a rapid pace because the heat is quickly lost and not held inside the smoker, whereas the insulated smoker burns at a much slower rate only to maintain the temperature within the smoker. I have seen some insulated smokers burn for 16 hours with a single five pound load of charcoal.

Only you have to be happy with your choice.....

Wow is right thanks for a well thought out reply. I think I know about the size I want. I just want to buy or "cry" once. I'm hoping to get something that will last many years to come and I will be happy with!

Wow is right thanks for a well thought out reply.

You came to the right place with questions.

Folks 'round here honestly give a rat's... behind, and want to help.

Keep the info flowing, and they'll generally keep you out of trouble and on the right track.

I have only had food off of a pellet grill one time, and though it was tasty it did not taste like it came off of a smoker, or even a kettle for that matter. However there are a lot of people here who have tons of success with their pellet grills, and probably spend a lot more time experimenting for specific flavors...

As far as something like the Humphreys...
I looked at those pretty hard and though I didn't choose that particular brand, I did get a charcoal cabinet.
And it is....
Incredibly stable, and I don't own any stoker devices or therms.

I can place certain amounts and certain types of wood where I want it to hit my meat.
For example I put a couple of hickory chunks right under where I pour a lit chimney and 3-5 apple wood chunks in the path...perfect for chicken.

Being able to set my FB up just the way I want for a certain type of meat or meats is a versatility I could not do with out now.

Cooking space...Verticals have A LOT of cooking space and a small footprint.

Whichever way you go, I'm sure you'll have fun!

-D

I've been shopping as well. Thought I wanted a stick burner but my son's sports schedule and family time led me to insulated verticals. I'm getting a Stumps Junior- fits my needs perfectly. Based on your budget but also being one to spend more to get it right- I'd say take a look at:

Lonestar Grillz Mini Insulated Vertical ( few hundred more )

or

Spicewine Small ($2k)

Both will hold plenty of food, super high quality cookers. I love what you get for stock purchase where others charge more as upgrades. These are my preference-

I want a smoker only that's easy use. I'm looking for some input on what is the best smoker out there. Thanks for your input.
What do you consider easy to use?
There are some great used units for sale http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9
Some other things to think about besides what has been mentioned.
Do you want to smoke year round?
When it is cold and windy, electric and or gas units have a hard time maintaining a temp above 250* unless modified.
Is getting/dealing with ashes around the smoker a problem. Some smokers can be more messy than others when filling/cleaning.
Do you want to only do low and slow smoking? 12 + hours/over night type stuff since you mention briskets and butts.
Gas/electric's units typically are only low and slow and won't get high enough temps to do hot and fast cooks. Unless modified. Hot and fast can get it done without going over night. Depends on what you prefer/want.
Do you want to be able to grill on wanted/said smoker? That can cross quite a few off the list if you do.
How mobile does the unit have to be?
Are you looking for one that can use a controller? Do you have power at the location the smoker will be used at?
Do you require/want the smoker to be tall enough where your not bending while accessing the shelves/grates? Might have to be put onto a stand.
Do you need to transport said smoker on occasion?
Is the area covered where you will be smoking?
Do you want slide out grates, or lifting grates in/out is not a problem.
That question/answer right there can eliminate alot of smoker/grills.
Do you prefer a heavier or lighter smoke profile? That can eliminate quite a few smokers.

All smokers have a learning curve. The more you learn, the easier each will tend to seem to use.
If there was an easy answer, there wouldn't be so many smokers out there.

Metal or Ceramic cookers( kamado style). Both well within your budget. Are capable of doing 2 briskets or 2 butts at one time. If one of those fits your needs.

So what difference do you notice between pellets and charcoal with chunks?

That's hard to describe. It's more than heavy vs light, at least on mine the flavor is different. For me, the dominant smoke flavor from charcoal is the charcoal itself rather than something unique from the flavoring chunks. I like that when grilling something like a pork tenderloin but I'm not as fond of it on long duration cooks like pulled pork. Really don't like it on something like a turkey.

The pellets are a milder but also "cleaner" for lack of a better word flavor.

It's totally personal preference though.

Lots of questions and great people to help you out here, obviously the criteria is gigantic. Having competed for 7 years, but just loving cooking (heading out to light my pit right now) I narrowed mine down to getting the Humphreys Pint with all the fixings on it. Ideally an insulated cooker that I can leverage technology with is where I wanted to be, and I absolutely LOVE mine. A good ceramic cooker is a worthy investment, or even a nice Yoder. But we are all biased and you should get some good input on this thread.

Back