Thanks y'all. I used to have a Pitmaker vault trailer smoker and I pulled it with our 22' class C motorhome to compete. I sold the trailer but I want to get back into competitions. I'm looking at drums since I can just get a receiver hitch hauler, load them up and go.

Next question, is the hole from the hook noticeable on briskets and butts? If it is, have you smoked a brisket and/or a butt on the grate the whole time?

Thanks y'all. I used to have a Pitmaker vault trailer smoker and I pulled it with our 22' class C motorhome to compete. I sold the trailer but I want to get back into competitions. I'm looking at drums since I can just get a receiver hitch hauler, load them up and go.

Next question, is the hole from the hook noticeable on briskets and butts? If it is, have you smoked a brisket and/or a butt on the grate the whole time?

I don't think the hole is very noticeable but then again I don't do competitions. You will have to double hook a brisket though. Most people here hang butts and briskets until about 160 IT then wrap and cook the rest of the way on the grate. I don't see why you couldn't cook on the grate from the beginning.

There's been a few people compete with PBCs in the past and have done pretty good. PatioDaddio has beaten Johnny Trigg's ribs at least once (maybe twice) that I know of. That's impressive!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142809

Alright guys,

Stuff was killer to say the least. I hung raw at 2pm and when done at 4pm, I shaved off some of the meat onto the griddle and put the rack right back in the PBC to keep warm. The PBC kept the meat warm all through the night. It's now close to midnight and there is still heat on a 3/4 basket of Stubb's which of course is not unusual. It worked not as a cooker but also a warmer. :becky:

Here's the link and some pron from today's cook if you're interested

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239927

NCI1Axxh.jpg

HJ3QuIPh.jpg

40eOlh9h.jpg

d5sJqQ3h.jpg

Looks great Brother, probably my favorite thing to eat, especially the ones from a certain hole in the wall in Mexico City.

-----
I've done a few comps on the PBC but only chicken. Did fairly well too and beat some well-regarded teams too. What worked was not doing the butter bath in a pan that most other teams do but just grilling direct over the coals on the grate with both rods out. This gets me about 350* with good appearance as the meat is high enough over the coals to not get burnt. Got bite-thru skin too but I do use meat glue.
Ribs turn out great and you can get 8 racks hanging but I'd worry about wrapping that many and putting back in the PBC on the grate (we do Johnny Trigg style ribs with a few twists). 3-4 racks cooking and then wrapped is perfect.

As for butts and brisket, I've only done a few practice cooks on the PBC as we use my partner's stick burner for that. For brisket, you're gonna have to trim it down a few inches to make sure the packer is a couple of inches off the coals. For butts, I really see no benefit in hanging vs grate as the magic of hanging comes in from the side profile of your meat getting heated vs a more direct exposure horizontally (on the review of the PBC on amazing ribs website, the physics expert gives a good explanation for this). So, I cook butts on the grate and hang the brisket if I can.
If I was going to do a comp using all PBCs, I'd want at least 3. Ideally though, I'd get a Gateway drum or BPS drum and pair that with a PBC for capacity purposes as those are much bigger. Just my opinion.

-----
I've done a few comps on the PBC but only chicken. Did fairly well too and beat some well-regarded teams too. What worked was not doing the butter bath in a pan that most other teams do but just grilling direct over the coals on the grate with both rods out. This gets me about 350* with good appearance as the meat is high enough over the coals to not get burnt. Got bite-thru skin too but I do use meat glue.
Ribs turn out great and you can get 8 racks hanging but I'd worry about wrapping that many and putting back in the PBC on the grate (we do Johnny Trigg style ribs with a few twists). 3-4 racks cooking and then wrapped is perfect.

As for butts and brisket, I've only done a few practice cooks on the PBC as we use my partner's stick burner for that. For brisket, you're gonna have to trim it down a few inches to make sure the packer is a couple of inches off the coals. For butts, I really see no benefit in hanging vs grate as the magic of hanging comes in from the side profile of your meat getting heated vs a more direct exposure horizontally (on the review of the PBC on amazing ribs website, the physics expert gives a good explanation for this). So, I cook butts on the grate and hang the brisket if I can.
If I was going to do a comp using all PBCs, I'd want at least 3. Ideally though, I'd get a Gateway drum or BPS drum and pair that with a PBC for capacity purposes as those are much bigger. Just my opinion.

Thank you very much for the reply! I've been looking at the Gateway drums as well. They used to sell a 30 gallon version, but I can't find them.

I've been through several competition cookers and I just can't seem to get off of the quality and ease of drums for my next choice.

**Product Review ** - PBC Charcoal Chimney

As part of a recent order I sprang for the new PBC charcoal chimney. I never liked the size of the standard Weber chimney and never bought one (too big for my needs) though I do have the Weber short chimney as well as a GrillPro standard chimney from Lowes.

First impression - good! It is well made and tailored to the PBC. The logo is imprinted in the steel of the chimney and the handle and shield are well made. The dimensions are perfect for the PBC. I had been using the small Weber, since it holds the proper number of coals, but is is awkward to dump in the fire basket. The PBC chimney also holds the perfect number of coals, but is easy to maneuver in the barrel and lets you dump your ashed-over hotties into the desired spot.

PBC Chimney - 7" tall by 6-3/4" wide
Weber Small - 8" tall by 5-3/4" wide
GrillPro Reg. - 10" tall by 6-3/4" wide

Recommendation - if you have a chimney which works for you there is probably no need to run out and get one. If you are in the market for a chimney or have been frustrated by other chimneys in your PBC, by all means get one! If you use lighter fluid, it would make a nice planter or container for wood chunks!

P.S. - the new beer coozie is great as well

EDIT - I forgot to mention that part of the design of the PBC chimney is a shorter-than-normal lower section (the "newspaper" chamber). It is not much more than an inch and a half versus the typical two inches. I use Weber starter cubes so I can't report on how it works with newspaper. It works great with the paraffin cubes.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the reply! I've been looking at the Gateway drums as well. They used to sell a 30 gallon version, but I can't find them.

I've been through several competition cookers and I just can't seem to get off of the quality and ease of drums for my next choice.

Yeah, I know what you mean as I love my PBC so much my BGE and Akorn are jealous of all the attention it gets. So easy and good, not to mention hooking and hanging meat is just plain cool!
A lot of the top teams are using drum smokers nowadays for simplicity and quality as you mention. I've yet to see another PBC at the few comps I go to every year but do see plenty of Gateway drums and Big Poppa Smokers drums. The 55 gallon size allows for a LOT of capacity and since they are taller, you could hang a bigger brisket in one and smoke more butts. I'd take a look at the BPS drum kits too... Or just get 3 PBCs! Only about $100 more in total cost than 1 Gateway drum with the versatility and capacity of 3 cookers! You've got options, brother!

Wind chill is 8*, but it's supposed to get cold when a cold front arrives at noon.
Bride: Will you smoke a small turkey ��
Me: sure what's the temperature outside?
Bride: you may want your sock cap

Last edited:
Wind chill is 8*, but it's supposed to get cold when a cold front arrives at noon.
Bride: Will you smoke a small turkey ��
Me: sure what's the temperature outside?
Bride: you may want your sock cap

Must be too cold for the Flamingo.

Whats up guys? Been reading this thread for months and finally got around to registering. Been a big PBC for couple yrs and finally bought one this past June. Only had time to do ribs and chicken but they came out pretty good. (1st cook - chicken pic attached)

Looking forward to boston butt, turkey, and wings over the holidays.

Talked to PBC rep as I felt my PBC was running a bit hot and she recommended using less charcoal (30) and dropping coals sooner. We talked about wodo chunks and she actually recommended chips as she was thinking chunks would make it run hotter...but I see everyone uses chunks....figure I'm ok continuing?

Attachments

• IMG_1228.JPG
    IMG_1228.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1229.JPG
    IMG_1229.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 187
As part of a recent order I sprang for the new PBC charcoal chimney. I never liked the size of the standard Weber chimney and never bought one (too big for my needs) though I do have the Weber short chimney as well as a GrillPro standard chimney from Lowes.

First impression - good! It is well made and tailored to the PBC. The logo is imprinted in the steel of the chimney and the handle and shield are well made. The dimensions are perfect for the PBC. I had been using the small Weber, since it holds the proper number of coals, but is is awkward to dump in the fire basket. The PBC chimney also holds the perfect number of coals, but is easy to maneuver in the barrel and lets you dump your ashed-over hotties into the desired spot.

PBC Chimney - 7" tall by 6-3/4" wide
Weber Small - 8" tall by 5-3/4" wide
GrillPro Reg. - 10" tall by 6-3/4" wide

Recommendation - if you have a chimney which works for you there is probably no need to run out and get one. If you are in the market for a chimney or have been frustrated by other chimneys in your PBC, by all means get one! If you use lighter fluid, it would make a nice planter or container for wood chunks!

P.S. - the new beer coozie is great as well

EDIT - I forgot to mention that part of the design of the PBC chimney is a shorter-than-normal lower section (the "newspaper" chamber). It is not much more than an inch and a half versus the typical two inches. I use Weber starter cubes so I can't report on how it works with newspaper. It works great with the paraffin cubes.

I've switched to this

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-8748135-Half-Time-Charcoal-Starter/dp/B0194I3ZAK"]Amazon.com : Char-Broil Half-Time Charcoal Starter : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Half size is perfect. Lights up really fast. When pouring the coals into the PBC I noticed they are all lit and still whole (Full sized coals).

Three hours ten minutes gave me 177 breast and 187 thigh. Foiled after two hours. Crispy skin juicy meat (it's a butterball).

Last edited:
That's a sweet looking fowl, Adams! Too bad you didn't use a cooker that would have kept you out there, tending the fire and knocking icicles off your nose all day.

Back