Big Day Today!!

ButtBurner

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am taking my 23 yr old stepson to RD today. Last week he asked me if I could show him how to cook a brisket, he wants to make one for a work picnic this Sat.

He has always loved my BBQ and bought his own house last year. He has been wanting to get into BBQ but has not started yet.

He does brew his own beer so I give him credit for that LOL

So we are meeting at RD today after work, I am going to show him around and how to pick out a decent piece of meat.

We are going to do an overnight cook on Fri nite on the new Shirley, I have not done a brisket on it yet. I have another one in the freezer I may throw on for us as well!!

just thought I would share, dang proud of that boy!! He has had a rough go of it lately, he has Hogkins Lymphoma and had a big tumor removed beginning of the year, so he is doing fine but its still a big burden to live with

Great to hear that boy is not only hangin' in....but he's moving ahead !

Must have a great step-parent .................and "The Right Stuff" .

Let the brothers know if we can help. I'd kick in for a Q-school fund.

A brewer will make an outstanding BBQer. A lot of the same scientific principles particularly with temperature management. My son is also a home brewer and makes some killer meals. Have fun!!

Great to hear that boy is not only hangin' in....but he's moving ahead !

Must have a great step-parent .................and "The Right Stuff" .

Let the brothers know if we can help. I'd kick in for a Q-school fund.

thanks guys

Floyd- in 2 weeks he is having his tonsils removed as a precaution. They light up on the PET scan, so being part of the lymphatic system they are taking no chances.

So he will be staying with us for a few weeks while he recuperates.

One of my boys is 6 years old, the other is 9 months old. Colin, my oldest, has his own little grill he loves to cook pork chops and pork steaks on. I cant wait to do a proper BBQ cook with him once I make him a small UDS. Good for you, man! Your step-son has got a great step-dad to show him the ropes. Enjoy it!

thanks for all the nice comments!!

I am meeting him there in about 1/2 hr!!

I am back

Told him a few things then let him loose in the cooler

after looking them over, he picked out a 14 lber.

Then I looked them over. He picked the best looking one, with a nice thick flat.

He is on his way

I looked at some small flats a local grocer had in their meat dept.
$7.99/lb with a fat cap about 1/2" thick. No Thanks!

I looked at some small flats a local grocer had in their meat dept.
$7.99/lb with a fat cap about 1/2" thick. No Thanks!

I have never seen a flat that I would pay for. All are too expensive per / lb for me

I would rather get a chuck roast if I wanted a small peice of meat like that

Great. Have fun cooking with your son.

Starting out with brisket? Awesome. Some cook for years and won't try that.

He's got a great teacher.

Back