Fundamental Stickburner Question

ebm010

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Assuming a low and slow (10-12 hrs) cook of a coupleof large briskets in an offset firebox stickburner at around 225 deg.
To maintain a low temp a relatively low volume of air is allowed in the firebox which results in constant smoke from the fuel source (split oak) until it reaches charcoal stage.
Over 10-12 hours of refueling that results in a lot of smoke.
Probably too much for most if not all meats.
What am i missing?

Several things I am learning as I use a stick burner. A small hot clean fire using properly aged wood, that has been preheated on top of the firebox before adding every 45-60 minutes will not oversmoke the meat. Also, wrapping in unwaxed butcher paper once the bark is set will also regulate smoke level in the flavor profile.

So, the issue is this. Can you get your fire small yet hot enough to stay clean and yet cook at 225? I'd say 250-275 is more realistic and not have too much of the dirty smoke.

On my stick burner I cook brisket at a higher temp which provides more air flow and less heavy smoke. I think the only way you're going to be able to cook that low and slow without over-smoking is a very small coal bed with maybe one or two small sticks at a time then wrap in butcher paper or foil after about 4 to 5 hours or you have the color on the bark you want.

I agree with all of the above. Let the smoker run where it's happy. The goal is thin blue to no smoke. I run my stick burner wide open and control my temperature with fire size. The smoke is hardly visable at all. That's what you want. Full combustion. Smoldering a fire will only lead to dirty smoke and food that tastes like an ashtray. Make your fire smaller and let er rip. You want to see your splits flaming, not smoking. As long as you can keep your temps under 3-325 I wouldn't sweat it. Your meat just finishes quicker. 225 isn't a magic smoking number.

Assuming a low and slow (10-12 hrs) cook of a coupleof large briskets in an offset firebox stickburner at around 225 deg.
To maintain a low temp a relatively low volume of air is allowed in the firebox which results in constant smoke from the fuel source (split oak) until it reaches charcoal stage.
Over 10-12 hours of refueling that results in a lot of smoke.
Probably too much for most if not all meats.
What am i missing?

I think what most are advising (and I agree) is contrary to the highlighted part of your question. Not being argumentative but IMO I like the airflow necessary to have a hot, clean burning fire putting of almost invisible smoke. Like many, I usually cook a little hotter in my RF, but if I want(ed) to cook at say 225*, to me is is smply a matter of having a smaller fire; still hot and with good air flow just smaller. There are probably other ways to make this happen but I do it but breaking down my splits into smaller pieces and keep them preheated so they ignite and burn down to coals quickly when added to the fire.

225 on a stickburner is doable, but hard. Vents wide open, let it run at whatever temp it runs at for the size of splits you're using. It's much easier to adjust your cooking times than it is to make a stickburner do what it doesn't want to do.

The key is vents wide open, no matter what. You control temps with the size of your fire, not the amount of air you allow to reach the fuel.

I agree with all of the above. Let the smoker run where it's happy. The goal is thin blue to no smoke. I run my stick burner wide open and control my temperature with fire size. The smoke is hardly visable at all. That's what you want. Full combustion. Smoldering a fire will only lead to dirty smoke and food that tastes like an ashtray. Make your fire smaller and let er rip. You want to see your splits flaming, not smoking. As long as you can keep your temps under 3-325 I wouldn't sweat it. Your meat just finishes quicker. 225 isn't a magic smoking number.

Couldn't have been explained any better. Well said Matt!

We ran our stick burner at 275 because that is where she was happy. Anything lower would result in smoldering wood which causes that nasty bitter taste in your food. Learn how to build a small, hot fire and let it settle into the temperature that it wants with proper air flow, then adjust your cook from there.

Interesting to see how the answers to this question have evolved since Franklin's book came out.

Great book, by the way. I learned a lot from it.

Interesting to see how the answers to this question have evolved since Franklin's book came out.

Great book, by the way. I learned a lot from it.

I was thinking the same thing. I think it's a really good thing to have good airflow and not sweating the temp so much. I'm still trying to figure out what my Shirley likes but it seems that she doesn't really care if the fire is smaller and 275 or if the fire is bigger and 350. She just puts out tbs regardless.

I can remember about a decade ago with my old stick burner and trying to fight the intake to keep it close to 225 and not have billowing smoke. That was an art form or a pita...I guess it depends on your opinion.

I was thinking the same thing. I think it's a really good thing to have good airflow and not sweating the temp so much. I'm still trying to figure out what my Shirley likes but it seems that she doesn't really care if the fire is smaller and 275 or if the fire is bigger and 350. She just puts out tbs regardless.

I can remember about a decade ago with my old stick burner and trying to fight the intake to keep it close to 225 and not have billowing smoke. That was an art form or a pita...I guess it depends on your opinion.

Me too. I had the same issues. I learned from Franklin that good airflow is the key to getting good smoke. Let the fire have all the air it wants. I have done it his way several times now, and have been turning out the best tasting Q on my stick burner I ever have. The other keys which I was already aware of are using seasoned wood, and maintaining a good bed of coals. Franklin's book is the best learning source out there that I have seen for learning how to cook good Q on a stick burner.

I think things like Franklin's book and his videos along with various other books and media has helped a lot of people under the art and science of smoke. Back in the day people didn't have these means to understand their equipment better. So consider ourselves lucky folks! I can't wait til I'm cooking with a stickburner

Most of the other books out there just give you recipes, temps and times. Franklin gives you technique. Best book out there for stick burners.

Exactly Buttburner !!

I run 225-250 with my fb door wide open. The door open is my airflow,.. The fire size is my heat.

Edit: which also gives me even temps. across my entire cooking surface.

No tuning plates, no reverse flow, no baffles,.. (it came with one,.. I cut it out) Let that air MOVE !!

Isn't it Smitthy's in Lockhart that burns their splits right outside the cooker and lets the draft pull in the heat and smoke? basically we are doing the same thing...letting the fire have all the air it needs.

Trying to constantly fight a huge chunk of steel is painful!! Very painful! A smoker is like any other tool, so use it the way it wants to be used. You can try to use a wrench to hammer a nail, but a hammer works better. If your smoker 'likes' 275, then run it at 275. If it 'likes' 250, so be it trying to make it do something it doesn't want to do is a losing proposition. Just my humble opinion.

Back