Need help, bbq crawl in Kansas City!

2 Bones BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Brethren,
I'm doing a one day bbq crawl in KC tomorrow. Right now we're thinking LC's, Arthur Bryant's, and Oklahoma Joe's. I'm sure I'm missing some and who better to ask than the Brethren. So, whatcha got?

It's a little outside of KC to the east, but Plowboys BBQ is well worth the drive. If you go to Joe's, make sure it is the original (gas station), and don't be surprised if you are disappointed in Bryant's.

It all depends on where you are going to be and what you are wanting to try. FYI, Oklahoma Joe's is now called Joe's Kansas City.

Depending on how many joints you want to visit. For me...picking 4...2 for tradition...would be Arthur Bryants for brisket......Gates for ribs...2 for new comers...Slaps for Burnt ends...Danny Edwards for brisket. I would skip Joes...not worth the hype and the wait/hassle.

Joe's KC, Jack Stack, Arthur Bryants, BB's Lawnside BBQ, Woodyard, Q39, and many, many more.

If you want to venture outside of KC proper, Plowboys BBQ in Blue Springs is Brethren owned!

So I'll probably get killed for this, but Arthur Bryants is mostly hype. Their brisket/burnt ends were decent, but there are better in KC. That said, it's a bucket list item for most people and still worth going.

What Jousting Pigs said is a good list. I've personally been to Oklahoma Joes, Arthur Bryants, Q39, and Jack Stack. I would probably go to them in this order:

1. Oklahoma Joes
2. Q39
3. Jack Stack
4. Arthur Bryants

As far as the most known KC places, I'd hit Okie Joes and get the Zman sandwich. As far as the other most known places I haven't had much luck and can't recommend. There are tons and tons of other bbq place in KC too, most of them I have not been to.

Brethren,
I'm doing a one day bbq crawl in KC tomorrow. Right now we're thinking LC's, Arthur Bryant's, and Oklahoma Joe's. I'm sure I'm missing some and who better to ask than the Brethren. So, whatcha got?

To bad it is today.
A real gem is SLAP's BBQ in Kansas City Kansas.
They closed between Christmas to New Year's Day. :heh:
If you have not been, give it a try.
They open at 11 am and close when they are out of meat:becky:

All right Brethren,
Went to LCs, Q39, Plowboys, and Bryant's. I feel the meat sweets coming on now. Wish I could have gone to more but I just couldn't do it. LCs was an old school meat over coals pit so it's definitely for you UDS guys. The pork burnt ends were best.
Q39 was great overall, had brisket flat, pork, and spares but the pork belly cassoulet!? Goodness it was delicious. Plowboys was next and had the best pork all day there. It was mild but porky and cooked perfectly. Then Arthur Bryant's, and got the burnt ends. At first I was taken back by the flavor which wasn't very "bbqy" more of a paprika stew thing going on. The only thing was is that I didn't stop eating it. It was weirdly delicious. Looking back I'm glad it was different because it was a nice change of pace.
Anyway, great time and look forward to coming back.
Thanks again for the help.

Glad you had fun and wish I was there right now! Great town and great folks. I've traveled a lot throughout the country and KC is one of those towns I won't forget.

If you do get back to KC sometime, try "Smokin' Guns BBQ". They won the Jack a few years back and then Guy Fieri stopped by and reviewed them on Triple D.
Pretty dad-gum good stuff!

Back