Decisions decisions....Which KC Q place?

Stoke&Smoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Going to Kansas City next week for 1 day and one night. Working in the country club plaza. There's a Gates just down the Street and a Jack Stack in the plaza

Leaning toward Jack Stack. What say you brethren?(particuliarly KC Brethen)

Maybe I'll get Gates for the trip home

Last edited:
I have not been there but I have friends that say Jack Stack is awesome! And OK Joes is also high on their list.

I never been to Jack Stack but I was a regular at Gates when I worked in KC back in 06 & 07, Dam fine BBQ

Be adventurous and go to Arthur Bryant's at 18th & Brooklyn. Definitely a cultural experience.

Haven't been there in years but enjoyed it.

JoeMap

Depends on time Joe. I may not have enough but thanks! I'll try to get there

Try Joe's Kansas City, that's my favourite in KC, Jack's is a fancy restaurant (not that there's anything wrong with that!) whereas Joe's is a casual BBQ joint and I liked the food more too!

Here's a recent review of most of the well-known KC BBQ places (by a Texan) http://www.tmbbq.com/limp-brisket/ read his opinions and choose wisely if you're only in town one night!

Jacks Stack...very good bbq...but kinda fancy smancy for a bbq joint.
Gates...somewhat inconsistant...but very good...a very traditional KC joint.
Joes KC...overrated in my books..not worth the wait. Good food.
Arthur Bryants...very KC traditional...very inconsistent...worth the experience.

For traditional KC bbq joint experience....Gates then AB. Only because the chance of good food is better. I frequent both

Best food consistant Jacks Stack...then Joes KC(Oklahoma Joes)..JKC only so you can say I went there when you see it on TV. I go to JS when I am taking someone that is squeemsih about being the only white people in the place.(referring to Gates and AB both in the hood)

For me it's Jack Stack and not even close. On a perfect day, Joe's food might beat Jack Stack, but lately it's been disappointing me. The huge lines and order and pick up doesn't seem to be keeping the Q as hot. At Jack Stack just seems like it's coming out hot.

Took my Dad to both in October and had raved about Joe's. After having spares at both, he declared Jack Stack the winner by far and I (reluctantly) had to agree. Sides at Jack Stack are hard to beat too. So for me, it's Jack Stack 1, Joe's 2, then everyone else.

For my money, Joe's is tops (though I don't like the new name). My last trip to Jack's was kind of disappointing. The first time I went to Jack's downtown in the train station was also my first time eating burnt ends. Heavenly doesn't begin to cover it.

Gates and ABs, go for the experience, not necessarily the food. But if you only get to KC occasionally, you have to do these at some point.

I've been reading about some other fine KC joints which aren't as well known. I want to try those next time I'm out.

And if you like fried chicken and have a car, you also need to get to Stroud's where they have t-shirts claiming they "choke their own chickens". http://stroudsrestaurant.com/. The original one beneath the overpass is gone now, unfortunately, but there are a couple of other locations. Go hungry.

JackStack

Ditto on the crown beef rib. Maybe my single favorite dish anywhere. Also get the cheesy potatoes.

Eric

The beef at Jack Stack is good. I have only been to Gates once and left disappointed.

Jackstack... Not much of a fan of Joes. A bit of a drive, but check out Plowboys. I also enjoy Brobeck's and John Russels.

Back